Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

For the standard Page variable no other data is tracking

Level 2

For example, I am trying to track video playing details such as video name, videoplay segments etc for a particular page. If I am filtering data with an Pagename Prop (created by me), its showing video details for the page properly, but if I am trying to filter data with Page variable video details data is either 0/unspecified.

Kindly help me out if anyone can figure it out what part am I missing. Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe's standard "Page" (s.pageName) variable is only stored on Page Views... it's removed from all Clicks/Actions/etc. (Even though you see s.pageName on your tracking calls, they are removed during processing... Adobe uses the existence of s.pageName and the backend URL value to determine if something is a page view.... so if you try and force the value using processing rules you will actually inflate your page views metric - I discovered that while mapping mobile app values)

This is why most implementations include a custom prop or eVar to hold the Page Name value (a lot of us use eVar so that we have 255 character limit, as opposed to prop's 100 character limit), and it's included on all page views and actions.

This is why you can't correlate your standard Page Name dimension to your video data, since none of those are triggering page views.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe's standard "Page" (s.pageName) variable is only stored on Page Views... it's removed from all Clicks/Actions/etc. (Even though you see s.pageName on your tracking calls, they are removed during processing... Adobe uses the existence of s.pageName and the backend URL value to determine if something is a page view.... so if you try and force the value using processing rules you will actually inflate your page views metric - I discovered that while mapping mobile app values)

This is why most implementations include a custom prop or eVar to hold the Page Name value (a lot of us use eVar so that we have 255 character limit, as opposed to prop's 100 character limit), and it's included on all page views and actions.

This is why you can't correlate your standard Page Name dimension to your video data, since none of those are triggering page views.