Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

for Bounce% of a page, breakdown by Entry Page or Page?

Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

When I create 3 tables to check bounce rate, I can see slight differences.

Table 1:

Dimension: Entry Page

Metric: Entries, Bounces, Bounce Rate

Table 2:

Dimension: Page

Table 3:

Dimension: Page (eVar)

According to the definition, Bounce Rate = Bounces / Entries, Entry page is the first page of a visit.

So, it seems break down by Entry Page (Table 1) shall be the most close to 100% correct.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

H

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Ah yeah, my mistake in not reading your reply properly to see that you had said it's a prop.

The only thing I can think of to explain the differences is that the Page Type (prop) is not set with some hits.

Given that Page x Entries and Entry Page x Entries always give the same results, try breaking downPage Type (prop) by Page, i.e. Page Type (prop) x Page x Entries and Entry Page Type (prop) x Page x Entries. Do you then notice any Pages in the second table that are missing from the first table?

If you don't see any differences and there are Custom / Download / Exit Links in your pages, try breaking down by Custom / Download / Exit Links, on the off chance that these Link hits were firing before your Page hits.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Tables 1 and 2 give you the exact same result.

So you're really comparing Table (1 or 2) vs Table 3. Between those 2 choices, I'd choose Table (1 or 2). The eVar introduces an unknown complication (e.g. depends on how it's set, what is its allocation/expiration, etc), so I wouldn't use Table 3 if I could.

Level 8
Level 8

@yuhuisgIn fact, we are trying to create segments to different page types to see different user behavior entry from specific search engines.

So, I think we should use something dimension like: Entry Page Type = Type 1, Entry Page Type = Type 2, etc, But not "Page Type = Type 1 AND Entries exists".

Is this correct?

By the way, here is a screen capture, when we try to use Page Type (prop) and Entry Page Type (prop), there are slightly different on the Entries and Bounces. (So in OP I asked, theoretically, Table 1 and 2 which is the right one).

Could you please share any idea why?

H_L_0-1636599136812.png

Thank you for your reply.

H

Community Advisor

Before I answer your question about the segment…

In your screenshot, you're using "Page Type". Is this an eVar? If so, then those are really Table 3 tables.

In my original answer, I was referring to the built-in "Page" and "Entry Page" dimensions when talking about Tables 1 and 2.

Level 8
Level 8

Hi, as mentioned in the reply, they are all prop, not evar. Thanks.

H_L_0-1636728405495.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Ah yeah, my mistake in not reading your reply properly to see that you had said it's a prop.

The only thing I can think of to explain the differences is that the Page Type (prop) is not set with some hits.

Given that Page x Entries and Entry Page x Entries always give the same results, try breaking downPage Type (prop) by Page, i.e. Page Type (prop) x Page x Entries and Entry Page Type (prop) x Page x Entries. Do you then notice any Pages in the second table that are missing from the first table?

If you don't see any differences and there are Custom / Download / Exit Links in your pages, try breaking down by Custom / Download / Exit Links, on the off chance that these Link hits were firing before your Page hits.

Level 8
Level 8

Thanks for the reply, so...as in OP said, IMO the most close to the definition is to use Table 1: "Entry Page" for entries, bounces, instead of Table 2 incase of the configure issues...