Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Events were fired by multiple times

Level 1

Hello,

We have two events to track the PDF Download, event 43 is tools, and event 13 is PDF Brochure. 

However, when the user does not refresh the page and clicks the button multiple times, the two events will be fired repeatedly. 

I tried to add clear variables to the rule. But it didn't solve the problem. 

So,  I have no idea how to fix this issue. Any advice is appreciated.

WX20221130-144355@2x.png

Thanks again!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't have this issue, but I also don't use the set events area of "set variables". I actually use custom JS in the custom code area (long story as to why I do this, but this might be a solution for you).

Seeing this behaviour, I suspect that the built-in feature must "append" events/linkTrackEvents... which isn't what you want....

While this sounds a little strange, if you removed the events from here:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1669824698118.png

Then in custom code area do the following:

s.events="event43";
s.linkTrackEvents = s.events;

or

s.events="event15";

This should explicitly set your events, and your linkTrackEvents to pass only the events you want.....

Give that a try and see if it works for you

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't have this issue, but I also don't use the set events area of "set variables". I actually use custom JS in the custom code area (long story as to why I do this, but this might be a solution for you).

Seeing this behaviour, I suspect that the built-in feature must "append" events/linkTrackEvents... which isn't what you want....

While this sounds a little strange, if you removed the events from here:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1669824698118.png

Then in custom code area do the following:

s.events="event43";

or

s.events="event15";

This should explicitly set your events, and your linkTrackEvents to pass only the events you want.....

Give that a try and see if it works for you

Level 1

We have used your suggestion and it works very well, thank you so much!!

Community Advisor

It looks like your implementation simply appends event15 and event43 to the s.events string, regardless of what is in that string already, e.g.

s.events = (s.events ? ',' : '') + 'event15,event43';

A better option is to use the "apl" plugin. Reference: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/apl.html?lang=en This plugin prevents such repetition from happening.

s.events = s.apl(s.events,'event15,event43');

Level 1

@WillN_N just to confirm, if you are using the append plugin in your do-plugin? Might be it is appending the existing events hit level, I might be working, but I suscept you should review your do-plugin in custom code