Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Event total analysis

Level 4

How will the report look like in analysis workspace for any specific link click analysis and what are the  metrics and dimensions we use to create report?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Ok, so "event3" is basically a counter. Every time someone clicks on your button event3 will count for "1".

You can use this in many ways...

First, as you mentioned, you can use Day as your breakdown... so in a panel set to last 30 full days, this will show how many clicks occurred on your button per day, as well as the total clicks for the reporting period. This is a good basic report because it will show you how active that button is.

Page is a bit trickier, if you are only using s.pageName, you won't have any data to correlate with event3 since pageName (Page in Workspace) is removed on actions (s.tl calls). You will need to track your Page Name in a custom eVar...  I have a Hit level eVar set up, and set it to use Dynamic Variables

s.eVarX = "D=pageName";

This makes sure that my eVar picks up a duplicate value to what I set in my pageName variable.. the beauty of this is that the duplication happens before the standard PageName is removed... and if your page names are long, they will be truncated to 100 characters, whereas the eVar will hold up to 255 characters.

Now I have a replication eVar that I call "Page Name" available on all page views and actions.

Now, let's look at your event3 itself, maybe you want to know the average "Login Button Click per Visit" or "Login Button Click per Visitor", you can make some simple calculated metrics like so:

event3

÷

Visits

OR

event3

÷

Unique Visitors

There is a caveat to the above, these will take ALL Visits or ALL Visitors (even those that never use the login button) and if a large percentage of your users don't login, this could make these rates very small, so you might want to get a little fancier and create calculated metrics for "Login Button Click per Visit (that use the login button)" or "Login Button Click per Visitor (that use the login button)"

You would create a  few segments first:

(Visits with Login Button Clicks)

Visit

event3 exists

and

(Visitors with Login Button Clicks)

Visitor

event3 exists

Now, you would do similar calculated metrics to the above, but add these segments in so that only active "use" Visits or Visitors are used in the rate:

event3

÷

Visits with Login Button Clicks [

Visits

]

OR

event3

÷

Visitors with Login Button Clicks [

Unique Visitors

]

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

If you are talking specifically about s.tl() calls, then you can look at the "Custom Link Instances" and use the default "Custom Link" dimension... however, depending on what you have tracked on those links (i.e. custom props, eVars and events) you could more specifically pull based on those...

Maybe you have "Menu Clicks" with a custom event1, and "Footer Clicks" with a custom event2... you could use event1 or event2 instead of "Custom Link Instances".

Knowing what you are tracking and what you have access to, as well as what specifically you are trying to report on will help us to give you advice.

If you are instead talking about "Activity Map" links, then those are a bit different.. you would use one or more of the Activity Map dimensions (Activity Map Link or Activity Map Region or Activity Map Page or Activity Map Link by Region), and I prefer to use the Activity Map Link Instance metric no matter which of the above is being used (since all of those should be tracking in parallel with one another)

Level 4

Thanks Jennifer,

For example, suppose

I have a portal login button click is being tracked as event3, then I am going to do analysis.

So , as said by you my metric will be event3. But, what would be my dimensions . (page dimension and  time(month, day)) are only dimensions I can think of but is there any specific way to event analysis report? 

Also, I have one more query 

In launch perspective, I have been sending page , page Url, ecid , time stamp and previous page. Should , I need to think in reports perspective before capturing  values and firing the rules.  Thanks. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Ok, so "event3" is basically a counter. Every time someone clicks on your button event3 will count for "1".

You can use this in many ways...

First, as you mentioned, you can use Day as your breakdown... so in a panel set to last 30 full days, this will show how many clicks occurred on your button per day, as well as the total clicks for the reporting period. This is a good basic report because it will show you how active that button is.

Page is a bit trickier, if you are only using s.pageName, you won't have any data to correlate with event3 since pageName (Page in Workspace) is removed on actions (s.tl calls). You will need to track your Page Name in a custom eVar...  I have a Hit level eVar set up, and set it to use Dynamic Variables

s.eVarX = "D=pageName";

This makes sure that my eVar picks up a duplicate value to what I set in my pageName variable.. the beauty of this is that the duplication happens before the standard PageName is removed... and if your page names are long, they will be truncated to 100 characters, whereas the eVar will hold up to 255 characters.

Now I have a replication eVar that I call "Page Name" available on all page views and actions.

Now, let's look at your event3 itself, maybe you want to know the average "Login Button Click per Visit" or "Login Button Click per Visitor", you can make some simple calculated metrics like so:

event3

÷

Visits

OR

event3

÷

Unique Visitors

There is a caveat to the above, these will take ALL Visits or ALL Visitors (even those that never use the login button) and if a large percentage of your users don't login, this could make these rates very small, so you might want to get a little fancier and create calculated metrics for "Login Button Click per Visit (that use the login button)" or "Login Button Click per Visitor (that use the login button)"

You would create a  few segments first:

(Visits with Login Button Clicks)

Visit

event3 exists

and

(Visitors with Login Button Clicks)

Visitor

event3 exists

Now, you would do similar calculated metrics to the above, but add these segments in so that only active "use" Visits or Visitors are used in the rate:

event3

÷

Visits with Login Button Clicks [

Visits

]

OR

event3

÷

Visitors with Login Button Clicks [

Unique Visitors

]