Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

eVar not firing on a single page

Level 5

Hi everybody!

Another question 101. We have eVar 3 collecting the page names via HTML on one of our websites. However, there is only one page of the website where it is not firing, and I´m clueless about the reason.

I already checked the code and the HTML "title" is there, the page name appears in the browser tab, and Adobe´s script is correctly implemented on that page, on omnibug the pageview is fired with the other eVars, however, the eVar 3 specifically it not fired. 
Any idea what else I can check or what could be the reason?

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If the page is missing a doctitle element (in the HTML), your data element will be set to nothing, and therefore not send a value....

This is the most likely scenario based on what you are showing me... our developers are sometimes really bad for missing that... you could try setting a default value of "[missing]" and see if you get your eVar3 populated with that default text when no doctitle is set on the page..... (I do this, so that I can ensure I always have a value - but instead of doing this as default, I have some extra custom code, as I need to do some additional manipulations - but then I can also go back and say... "hey, these pages are missing titles.. please fix them")

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Is that one page using a different rule where eVar3 has not been set to send? How do you have eVar3 set in Launch? Is it using a unique Data Element? The same Data Element that is being used for PageName? Are you using "D=pageName"? Are you using Processing Rules?

There are many ways to set eVar3.. we need to know more about your implementation to really drill into the issue.

Level 5

We are using a unique data element

fern1_0-1681157993264.png

and then we have a global pageview rule with eVar 3

fern1_1-1681158043411.png

Since we have a global rule I´m confused why there is only one page that is not working properly.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If the page is missing a doctitle element (in the HTML), your data element will be set to nothing, and therefore not send a value....

This is the most likely scenario based on what you are showing me... our developers are sometimes really bad for missing that... you could try setting a default value of "[missing]" and see if you get your eVar3 populated with that default text when no doctitle is set on the page..... (I do this, so that I can ensure I always have a value - but instead of doing this as default, I have some extra custom code, as I need to do some additional manipulations - but then I can also go back and say... "hey, these pages are missing titles.. please fix them")

Community Advisor

How does your global rule get triggered?