Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Estimate data feed file size

Level 1

Hello!

I'm trying to estimate the file size before implementing a data feed in adobe analytics. Is this information available anywhere or I'd need to manually calculate the file size based on our total hits? if calculating manually, what's the most accurate way to pull the hit count?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I should add some clarification to this.. all your Exclude by IP traffic, Bots (though the documentation doesn't say this, the bot traffic is all stored in the DB and can be accessed by special Bot reports, so I don't see how this data wouldn't be included in the raw data), malformed hit data that is missing core info, content excluded via VISTA Rules, etc.

This type of content is very hard to account for when trying to estimate the size of a Data Feed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hi @trangtpham1412,

As far as I know, no, there isn't a way to see the file size before you do a data feed export. 

If you want to estimate the hit count for the hour/day before you pull the file the best way would probably be to use the metric "occurrences" against the time dimension (hour, day, etc.).

One other thing to keep in mind, when you check the number, make sure is the full report suite, not a VRS. The data feeds is going to pull everything, so if you normally use a VRS that filters out certain types of traffic, you need to switch back to the main report suite.

Community Advisor

Don't forget, all the excluded content that you don't see in your Workspace (not just filtered content from your VRS) will also be included in the Raw Data Feed, which will increase the number of rows that are returned.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I should add some clarification to this.. all your Exclude by IP traffic, Bots (though the documentation doesn't say this, the bot traffic is all stored in the DB and can be accessed by special Bot reports, so I don't see how this data wouldn't be included in the raw data), malformed hit data that is missing core info, content excluded via VISTA Rules, etc.

This type of content is very hard to account for when trying to estimate the size of a Data Feed.