Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Entry Prop vs Prop vs Exit Prop

Level 1

I have a prop that captures the site section. Why are the occurrences of the Entry Prop higher than the Prop itself? I may not have a full understanding of how these occurrences fire, but I assume the Entry Prop and Prop get set upon entry, then if the user visits another page in that section the Prop would get another occurrence but the Entry Prop would not - so wouldn't the prop occurrence value always be equal or greater than than Entry Prop?

for instance, visitor enters site in the About section. Entry Prop-Section "About" gets 1 occurrence and Prop-Section "About" gets 1 occurrence, then visitor goes to 3 other sections and returns to About. So Entry Prop "About" is still 1 occurrence but not Prop-Section "About" has 2 occurrences. How is it ever possible that Entry Prop-Section "About" has more occurrences than Prop-Section "About" ?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I try to give you a short example, why "entry site section" is higher than the "site section" itself.

assume the following user story

1) site (entry) in "about" (1 hit)

2) goes to "home" (1 hit)

3) goes "shop" to buy (3 hits)

for each hit where "site section" is set, the corresponding value gets one occurencies, giving you the following table:

about => 1

home => 1

shop => 3

but the "entry site section" is set on the first hit of the visit and stays the same on all other hits! that means it gets an "occurency" for each hit of this visit. the table for "entry page section" would look like this:

about => 5

as you can see, the occurencies of "entry site section = about" is higher than the "site section = about". depending on the overall behaviour of your visitors it is possible that "entry prop" is higher than the "prop" itself.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I try to give you a short example, why "entry site section" is higher than the "site section" itself.

assume the following user story

1) site (entry) in "about" (1 hit)

2) goes to "home" (1 hit)

3) goes "shop" to buy (3 hits)

for each hit where "site section" is set, the corresponding value gets one occurencies, giving you the following table:

about => 1

home => 1

shop => 3

but the "entry site section" is set on the first hit of the visit and stays the same on all other hits! that means it gets an "occurency" for each hit of this visit. the table for "entry page section" would look like this:

about => 5

as you can see, the occurencies of "entry site section = about" is higher than the "site section = about". depending on the overall behaviour of your visitors it is possible that "entry prop" is higher than the "prop" itself.

Level 1

ah, i did not know that entry site section keeps getting set, but that makes sense as it's the same prop.

Community Advisor

just break down one of the "entry site section" by "page" and you should see pages outside of the selected site section.

in the example above, the table would look like this:

entry: about => 5

- page about => 1

- page home => 1

- page shop => 3