Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Download File Name Report has more data than expected

Level 4

Hello All,

We have getting data for "Download File Name Report" on our production site but we see predominant data has been fired for particular four days (From Jan 25th to Jan 28th ) on Jan 2018. When I debug now I see the data is firing perfectly and looks average for Feb 2018.

We were using prop 13 and evar 13 to see the Download File Name Report.

What might have caused to get this much of data for this particular 4 days? can anyone help on this issue please. Please let me know for any other information.

Thank you,

Jay.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Dear Jay,

If you have the access to Data Warehouse from Adobe Analytics then your Job is simple. Select the period where you got the predominant data and choose the Granularity as "Hourly" then select the custom variables eVar or Props from the item category.

Followed by "IP" from the same Breakdown standard column. Finally choose the metrics (Instance) or any other custom metrics that you have assigned for the PDF tracking. Send the file/report to your email ID as .csv format and see how many PDF hits or downloads happened on the particular IP.

Note: I hope there is no other way to see the IP details apart from Data Warehouse or Data Workbench (Adobe Insights).

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Vijay

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 5

See if you can do something like a contribution analysis. There is a built-in tool.

You could also look to see if you can manually find the source of the anomaly. Were the anomalous downloads all from one specific geographic region? Did they all use the same browser or have the same ISP? Did they all have the same last touch channel or referrer?

Level 3

Hi,

There can be a lot of different reasons for this kind of spike or unusual behavior. First, you can look at referrer report to see what traffic source is driving the downloads or was there some marketing campaign active that contributed to this?

You can also use segment PDF download > exists ( in case you get unspecified data)

If you capture visitor ID or unique ID's, you can breakdown to see whether was it some kind of bot (if multiple hits are coming from one ID) that can also lead with some helpful information.

Level 4

Thanks for your reply, I see referrer type is only "typed/bookmarked" and we don't see any campaign for those particular days.

also, there is no unspecified data on the report.

How can we see the IP's particularly which comes? please let me know the way

nikitarama​ this is for your question as well.

Correct answer by
Level 5

Dear Jay,

If you have the access to Data Warehouse from Adobe Analytics then your Job is simple. Select the period where you got the predominant data and choose the Granularity as "Hourly" then select the custom variables eVar or Props from the item category.

Followed by "IP" from the same Breakdown standard column. Finally choose the metrics (Instance) or any other custom metrics that you have assigned for the PDF tracking. Send the file/report to your email ID as .csv format and see how many PDF hits or downloads happened on the particular IP.

Note: I hope there is no other way to see the IP details apart from Data Warehouse or Data Workbench (Adobe Insights).

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Vijay

Level 5

If you don't have access to Data Warehouse, and you also do not capture the IP address as an s.prop or something, you could try to narrow it down by other information about their technology.

Does the majority of these downloads come from a single ISP? This would be the Domain dimension. Are they all using a specific version of a browser or operating system? If it's all coming from a single domain and a single version of a browser I'd be suspicious.

You could also look at the Visit Depth and/or Hit Depth for these downloads. This would show you if these downloads came from visits that just navigated to a page and downloaded or if there was some organic browsing activity. If all the downloads came at the same visit or hit depth I'd be suspicious.

Level 4

wonderful, I got the IP's. Thanks a lot for your guidance.