Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Different Total Visit Count in Fallout vs. Freeform

Level 1

Hello,

Context: I am trying to compare Month-to-Date Visits TY to Month-to-Date Visits LY in a Fallout Visualization. I also have the Month-to-Date Visits TY and Month-to-Date Visits LY in a Freeform Table to see visits by Week. I am using rolling dates for both time periods.

Issue: The count of visits for Month-to-Date Visits LY in the Fallout Vis does not match the count of visits in the Freeform Table - it's off by ~3M visits. Please see screenshots below:

Fallout Vis:

Fallout Vis with Rolling Month-to-Date LYFallout Vis with Rolling Month-to-Date LY

Freeform Table in Same Panel:

Freeform Table w/ different count of visits despite same time periodFreeform Table w/ different count of visits despite same time period

When I add another panel and change the date range to the same period as my segment "Dec 29, 2019 - Jan 30, 2020" and pull in a fallout vis, I am getting the same ~15M visits. This leads me to believe ~15M is the true visit count for this time period:
image.png

I think there must be something with my segment. Can someone please look at the segment I have in the original fallout vis and advise on the issue?

image.png

mg1028_0-1611848189648.png

I also tried adding visits to the segment, but I am getting the same inaccurate count of ~12M:

mg1028_1-1611848254675.png

Any help in understanding why my visit count is different in my Fallout Vis vs Freefrom Table and/or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi MG...

Try change your segment to a visit level. 

Fallouts are either at a visitor or visit level by default whereas segments would usually default to hit level.

As a result, the way fallouts vs freeforms treats segments used as filters is slightly different.

The below is detail provided on Adobe documentation (url: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/visualizations/fallout/...)

When the containers are at the same level as the fallout (e.g. visit or visitor level) this will result in matching the number of visits or visitors.

However, if the segment applied to the panel is smaller than the level of the fallout (e.g. hit level), then the segment will show different results because of how it is combined by the report. To reiterate, under most circumstances the numbers in Analysis Workspace match those in Reports & Analytics and Ad Hoc Analysis. They will not match only if all of the cases below are true:

• The segment isn’t at the same level as the fallout.
  • The segment has a variable where the visitor/visit can have multiple values during a visit/visitor.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

If you remove the "Visits exists" condition in your segment, do the numbers tally?

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi MG...

Try change your segment to a visit level. 

Fallouts are either at a visitor or visit level by default whereas segments would usually default to hit level.

As a result, the way fallouts vs freeforms treats segments used as filters is slightly different.

The below is detail provided on Adobe documentation (url: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/visualizations/fallout/...)

When the containers are at the same level as the fallout (e.g. visit or visitor level) this will result in matching the number of visits or visitors.

However, if the segment applied to the panel is smaller than the level of the fallout (e.g. hit level), then the segment will show different results because of how it is combined by the report. To reiterate, under most circumstances the numbers in Analysis Workspace match those in Reports & Analytics and Ad Hoc Analysis. They will not match only if all of the cases below are true:

• The segment isn’t at the same level as the fallout.
  • The segment has a variable where the visitor/visit can have multiple values during a visit/visitor.