Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Difference between event and instances

Level 3

Hi to all

I have a hit that sends to adobe workspace an event (event 5) and populated an evar (evar73 = "checkout_Carla").

Newsletter .png

I'm pretty sure that there is only one call that trigger the event and the evar but, when I compare the event and the evar instances in the workspace I see a different name 1.389 (Event5) Vs 3.676 (evar instances)

2021-01-13_14h55_16.png

How is it possible? The only solution is that the evar is sent in another called?

Thk,

Francesco

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Hi @francescop47742 ,

For a detailed explanation of "instances of..." please review this doc, here.

Most likely there are some additional image requests going out on the same page that the evar is being set. In particular, be careful to check for any click tracking your site may have. You may be able to track this down in Workspace if you filter by page name where these don't align and checking other variables that are used for link reporting.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 6

Hi @francescop47742 ,

For a detailed explanation of "instances of..." please review this doc, here.

Most likely there are some additional image requests going out on the same page that the evar is being set. In particular, be careful to check for any click tracking your site may have. You may be able to track this down in Workspace if you filter by page name where these don't align and checking other variables that are used for link reporting.

Level 3
ok even personally it's the only idea that comes to my mind too

Level 3

Events can be configured to increment at several levels... i.e. once per visitor or visit or every time. so if an "event trigger" happens 10 times during a single user session, depending on how you have that event configured it could show 1 or it could show 10.

Evars persist (unless explicitly built to not) beyond the hit they are set on. So to use "instances" with an evar can be strange because it will only count the number of times it was set and will not include persisted values. 

Community Advisor

Breakdown your eVar by Custom Link. Does AA report any other Custom Links besides "NewsletterSubscription" (the "link name" value shown in your screenshot)?

Community Advisor

@francescop47742back in your original table with "Newsletter Position" as the only dimension, what happens when you drag in the metrics "Newsletter Position Instances", "Newsletter Subscription" (i.e. event5), "Page Views", "Custom Link Instances", "Download Link Instances", and "Exit Link Instances"?

Community Advisor

Erm, use "Newsletter Position Instances" instead of "Newsletter Subscription Instances".

2021-01-18_14h34_29.png

What I'm trying to do is to see which metrics, when added together, result in your Newsletter Position Instances, i.e. the number of times that Newsletter Position got set. That will give a clue as to where else your eVar is being set.

Community Advisor

Yes, that screenshot show the correct configuration now. Based on this latest screenshot, I think it's safe to eliminate Exit and Download Links as possible cases that are also tracking eVar73 (though it looks like there are a few instances, but those could be edge cases that are difficult to eliminate).

So the only thing I can think of for now is that eVar73 is being set with other Custom Links or even Pages. In that case, you can try this:

In the latest table shown at https://www.screenpresso.com/=4iCwf :

1. Sort the table by decreasing order of "Newsletter Position Instances".
  2. Breakdown "checkout_Carla" by "Custom Link" dimension.
  3. Breakdown "checkout_Carla" by "Page" dimension.

Were there any non-0 Custom Links and/or Pages?

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?