Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Debugger data layer values vs Report suite

Level 3

Hello,

We have created few js data elements based on data layers. The data layer naming conventions comprises of both upper case and lower case values. We have selected the option of 'force lower case' in DTM data element settings. Now, the issue is that while, the debugger shows lower case values (the way we want), the values in report suite(staging in this case) are coming as same as actual data layer values.

Can someone please help on what might be going on here and ways to fix it?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Per eVar documentation (as a sample):

Case Sensitivity
eVars are case insensitive, but they are displayed in the capitalization of the first occurrence. For example, if the first instance of eVar1 is set to "Logged In," but all subsequent instances are passed as "logged in," reports always show "Logged In" as the value of the eVar.

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/admin/admin-tools/conversion-variables/conversion-v...
The docs don't specify this, but if you only pass lower case value on July 1 and use July as your reporting window it might shift (have seen this happen before).

If its just for the staging report suit you could also reset the expiration.  That might work. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

Per eVar documentation (as a sample):

Case Sensitivity
eVars are case insensitive, but they are displayed in the capitalization of the first occurrence. For example, if the first instance of eVar1 is set to "Logged In," but all subsequent instances are passed as "logged in," reports always show "Logged In" as the value of the eVar.

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/admin/admin-tools/conversion-variables/conversion-v...
The docs don't specify this, but if you only pass lower case value on July 1 and use July as your reporting window it might shift (have seen this happen before).

If its just for the staging report suit you could also reset the expiration.  That might work. 
Thank you. Your account name made me laugh. Coming back to your answer, i am not sure if it will work as both props and evars are showing up discrepancy. I have same value getting captured as an evar as well as a prop.
I only sent you a link for one of the variable types as an example. This comment from 2016 states that the same thing 'first passed value' is true for props.
I only sent you a link for one of the variable types as an example. This comment from 2016 states that the same thing 'first passed value' is true for props.https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/prop-reports-not-case-ins...
Thank you. I have reset the evar and also get a new reporting window of July to see if i am able to see new values. One question, the earlier response says that i can toggle the case sensitivity with some settings for individual report suites. I am not able to find any such options. I will be very thankful if you could help me navigating to that settings. I will update once i test my data in a few days.

Level 8

Just for troubleshooting, can you please check in the .js script what configurations are loading for your data elements.

For below configuration all three are enabled - Case insensitive match, Force lowercase value, Scrub whitespace and linebreaks using cleanText

{queryParam:"utm_campaign",storeLength:"pageview",forceLowerCase:!0,cleanText:!0,ignoreCase:1},"UTM_Content":

I feel, if the debugger shows lower case values, then the same should go to the Analytics also.

It is good that instead of handling at report suite side, while passing value to the Analytics, you can use the .toLowerCase() method to avoid this kind of issue.

If the data is already available in the report suite, then you can use classifications to get proper count.

Level 3
Thank you. We did use .toLowerCase() but not in the beginning. We are still in testing stage and no data has gone to our prod report suites and that is why i am trying to understand, how i can fix it before it reaches my prod.