Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Days since last purchase by category

Level 2

Is there a way to segment the "Days since last purchase" metric to see it by category purchased? Even at a high level?

I tried creating a segment looking at visitors who purchased within category X, but concerned that this is only looking at the purchases of category X after their last purchase from category A/B/C so many days ago.

Knowing that the days since last purchase dimension looks only at the hits after their most recent purchase, is there any way we can look at it by what category that most recent purchase was from?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3
Level 3

Hi AnthonyBBY, 

Does this look like what you are looking for? Below is a report that shows the days since last purchase for the Women's category. In this report I initially report on the Category dimension then break it down by Days Since Last Visit. 

I5_0-1628691350368.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3
Level 3

Hi AnthonyBBY, 

Does this look like what you are looking for? Below is a report that shows the days since last purchase for the Women's category. In this report I initially report on the Category dimension then break it down by Days Since Last Visit. 

I5_0-1628691350368.png

Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

To me, that says 150 visits of the 8,490 had visited and women's category and their most recent purchase was earlier that day, but I'm not sure that it means that their most recent purchase was within the Women's category. That is what I'm trying to verify/validate.

The way I'm trying to look at it is Visitors who had made a purchase in a category and then having a table with Days since last purchase, but I'm still seeing orders for that same category even same day (like those who bought a laptop buying another laptop same day). I'm not sure if those orders are truly of those who are ordering a second laptop or are just identifying those who purchased a laptop after making a purchase of anything earlier that day.

Does that make sense?

Level 3
Level 3

If I segment by the Women's category there are not any other categories in the data set. I get 564 same day purchases of 12,461 occurrences. This is a test database so a dev might be hitting it often in a single day. 

I5_0-1629137308052.png

I receive the same numbers when I generate the same report I sent earlier. This tells me the report I originally provided does not include purchases from another category.

I5_1-1629137453849.png

Level 2

Based on some of my deep-dive investigation with my own data set, it appears that I can get fairly close to designating which category they purchased from "same day" or "1 day", but if I'm looking at a longer time period (like 6 months ago), it gets harder (near impossible from what I can tell) to identify within Adobe Analytics workspace what category was originally purchased 6 months prior.

The views you shared are basically showing two views of the same thing and don't seem to show anything about the category that was last purchased.

The structure of days since last purchased looks at all the hits after the most recent purchase event. Given that, the view above is showing all the hits within the women's category that occurred after the most recent purchase (which may or may not have been within the women's category).

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I can't find another way to think about this that would allow me to look at those who came back to view category X after purchasing category X any number of days ago.

Level 3
Level 3

Hum, that is a different question than the original. To report on "those who came back to view category X after purchasing category X any number of days ago", I would build a logic group sequential segment like this.

Visitors who returned to a category after purchasing from same category

I5_0-1629156351242.png

Build sequential segments: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/segmentation-workflow/seg-...