Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Data feed: What causes a prop to be populated but a post-prop not be populated?

Level 2

In my Analytics data feed export into Snowflake, I have some props where the prop column is not null but the post_prop column for the same prop is null.

Why would the post_prop column be null while the raw(?) prop column is not null?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The "prop" column is set when a value is set to the prop in the adobe call. E.g. c.prop1=red. "red" would show up in the prop column and also the "post_prop" column.

The "post_prop" column is set with the value after the value is modified on the Adobe side by a processing rule, a vista rule, or some other transformation after Adobe receives the value. The value in the "post_prop" is what you would see in Workspace. If there was no post-receipt processing, the value would be "red".

The only scenario I can think of is that there is a processing rule or vista rule that blanks the value that was sent.

You could check Workspace. If you sent red and in Workspace there is nothing, then that would support the above scenario. On the other hand, if you see red in Workspace then Adobe has received and processed the call correctly.

You would then check the raw data feed to see if red was there. If it is in Workspace, it is almost certainly in the raw data feed and the issue is happening after you have received the data feed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

The "prop" column is set when a value is set to the prop in the adobe call. E.g. c.prop1=red. "red" would show up in the prop column and also the "post_prop" column.

The "post_prop" column is set with the value after the value is modified on the Adobe side by a processing rule, a vista rule, or some other transformation after Adobe receives the value. The value in the "post_prop" is what you would see in Workspace. If there was no post-receipt processing, the value would be "red".

The only scenario I can think of is that there is a processing rule or vista rule that blanks the value that was sent.

You could check Workspace. If you sent red and in Workspace there is nothing, then that would support the above scenario. On the other hand, if you see red in Workspace then Adobe has received and processed the call correctly.

You would then check the raw data feed to see if red was there. If it is in Workspace, it is almost certainly in the raw data feed and the issue is happening after you have received the data feed.

Community Advisor

It's also possible that the data was send before processing had finished on Adobe's side.. even if there are no specific processing rules for that prop, the before the post_prop can be populated all processing rules and vista rules need to complete.

For Data Feeds, the best practice is to make sure that for any continuous feed that you use the maximum delay of 120 mins to ensure that all processing has completed prior to the file being sent.