Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

creating a segment for cart page visit similar to bounce

Level 2

hi, I want to create a segment for visits in sequential order, which is the buy page > cart page, buy page > cart page > checkout page.

but also buy page > cart page (but the visitor leaves the page without any action, which is similar to bounce). In other words, I want to make a segment for a visit in which a person comes into the buy page, moves to the cart page, does nothing, and exits (same logic applied to the checkout page seg). 

i tried with filtering buy page then cart page with cart page and hit depth =1 with a hit bucket. which obviously didn't gave me the cases that i want.

i also tried excluding page exists within 1 pageview but technically, it doesn't mean people with no action in the cart page. 

is there any way that i can make these segments?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you know what Actions could be performed on a Cart page, that too could be helpful... I assume that if you track main menu clicks, those shouldn't count as a "cart interaction" within your definition... 

I'm guessing you want to know who came to the cart and left without:

• proceeding to purchase
  • removing items from cart
  • moving items to saved (assuming you have this feature)
  • changing the quantity
  • etc

While this would be a bit more involved, stipulating which actions to exclude could lead to a richer segment.... 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey @kr8tive 

Your segment with buy page and then cart page with hit depth=1 for cart page would not work as hit depth=1 would look for the first hit of the session. In this case, assuming buy page is your first page and pageview trigger as the first hit of the session, Then hit depth would attach to the buy page.

Can you share the exact segment definition you are working with for within pageview segment. We can then see what we can play with.

Cheers.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you know what Actions could be performed on a Cart page, that too could be helpful... I assume that if you track main menu clicks, those shouldn't count as a "cart interaction" within your definition... 

I'm guessing you want to know who came to the cart and left without:

• proceeding to purchase
  • removing items from cart
  • moving items to saved (assuming you have this feature)
  • changing the quantity
  • etc

While this would be a bit more involved, stipulating which actions to exclude could lead to a richer segment.... 

Level 2

It seems that might be the only way, thank you, I will try to add an excluding part for all the possible cart action

Community Advisor

There may be another way, but I am not familiar with your site to potentially fine efficiencies...

Plus it really depends on what your definition is...

If you were just looking for "leaves Cart page without purchase" then you could look for the next page to be anything other than "success page" for example... 

I suppose it depends on how literal you are with your "moves to the cart page, does nothing, and exits"... what your definition of nothing is makes a difference

Edit: it also depends on if you are considering "exit" as exiting the site, or just leaving the cart page"... 

Level 2

I was thinking of those who exited the cart page (which is the last page viewed in a visit) without any interaction. I already made a segment with those who leave the cart page and go to other pages (with the help of Fallout). 

Community Advisor

So, if it's simply:

• cart > exit
  • cart > without various cart actions > exit 

This will define the complexity of the segment.

For the simple path, I think I have come up with the correct logic... I tested this by creating a segment for "pagex" followed immediately by a page, and "pagex" excluding being immediately followed by a page - when stacked, they return 0 page views, and when added together they match the total PVs for "pagex"... so based on those checks this looks like it's working:

Page X - Followed by Another Page (i.e. NOT exiting the site)

HIT [

Page equals pageX

AND

[VISIT Container

Page equals pageX

THEN After 1 Hit(s)

Page exists

]

]

Page X - NOT Followed by Another Page (i.e. exiting the site)

HIT [

Page equals pageX

AND

[VISIT EXCLUDE Container

Page equals pageX

THEN After 1 Hit(s)

Page exists

]

]

However, if you need to add some extra logic to not count actions taken on "pageX" (aka Cart Page) as part of the logic, I am sure we can do that too... but this is a start.

Level 2

thank you. adding a cart action exclusion part in the segment 'Page X -NOT Followed by Another Page (i.e. exiting the site)' might work

Level 2

kr8tive_0-1702426529794.png

the containers consist of page dimensions, URL, and product for specifying each page. I also considered excluding all Evars that can happen on the cart page but thought there might be a better alternative way of putting it.