Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Creating a calculated metric with getPercentPageViewed value

Level 3

Hi There!

I'm using the getPercentPageViewed plug-in. I'm writing the value to a prop.

The values for any page come in as 100, 99, 98 and so on. We have a lot of long-scrolling pages on our site.

I'm hoping to build a calculated metric, specifically get the AVG percent viewed for each page on my site. 

I've been trying to build a metric by using the MEAN function and then dropping in the prop. 

It says that I need to add a metric, but not quite sure what that means.

Any guidance on how to do this? 
Thank you!

Curtis

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi @curtis_pond 

the getPercentViewed values you are passing in as prop or eVar are custom dimensions, meaning text values and not numbers / metrics. That is why you cannot use props or eVars in your case.

this is also what you are seeing in the examples here https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getpercentpageviewe... 

what may be an alternative approach could be using classifications to create buckets of scroll depth e.g., 0-25%, 26-50%, 51-75%, >75%

These are the classification rule regexes I typically use for this

• ^(\d|1\d|2[0-5])$
  • ^(2[6-9]|[34]\d|50)$
  • ^(5[1-9]|6\d|7[0-5])$
  • ^(7[6-9]|[89]\d|100)$

IMG_7166.jpeg

it will not generate averages, but good enough to draw conclusions from it.

Hope that helps

P.S. haven't tried dedicated event values e.g., event99=50 which will actually increase that metric by 50, which would theoretically create the base for a calculated metric you were initially looking for. Would be interesting to hear if anyone made this work

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi @curtis_pond 

the getPercentViewed values you are passing in as prop or eVar are custom dimensions, meaning text values and not numbers / metrics. That is why you cannot use props or eVars in your case.

this is also what you are seeing in the examples here https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getpercentpageviewe... 

what may be an alternative approach could be using classifications to create buckets of scroll depth e.g., 0-25%, 26-50%, 51-75%, >75%

These are the classification rule regexes I typically use for this

• ^(\d|1\d|2[0-5])$
  • ^(2[6-9]|[34]\d|50)$
  • ^(5[1-9]|6\d|7[0-5])$
  • ^(7[6-9]|[89]\d|100)$

IMG_7166.jpeg

it will not generate averages, but good enough to draw conclusions from it.

Hope that helps

P.S. haven't tried dedicated event values e.g., event99=50 which will actually increase that metric by 50, which would theoretically create the base for a calculated metric you were initially looking for. Would be interesting to hear if anyone made this work

Community Advisor

In addition to this, while not ideal, you could pull those values into Report Builder, and use excel to convert the text to numbers and create your math there...

I know this means taking the data out of Adobe, but at least you can get the results.

Level 3

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan ! 

Thank you for the suggestion. That's a great approach for wrangling data outside of Adobe and one I'm sure I'll have to use

Cheers,

Curtis

Level 3

Thank you, @bjoern__koth . I started exploring your suggestion yesterday and this looks like it might work. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your input and the background on custom dimensions. Thanks much!