Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

classify eVars colon delimeter

Level 4

I have below captured below in an eVar in a colon delimeted format. How can I show values in a row format individually?. My list eVars are all used.

asheth2295_0-1666284428849.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You could use Classification Rules to pull those values apart, but that would have the challenge that your first value would end up in a different dimension from your second, third, etc. values. Instead, have you considered using a List Prop? That could be enough for what I see on your screenshot. If that would not be enough in terms of length, you could think of introducing name spaces to your list variables.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 3

@xcode2295 

hello.  If your listVars are all used, the only other option you have would be to use a list Prop.  Prop variables can support a list, similar to listVars.  However, the entire string can't be more than 100 characters, otherwise the list prop won't work either.

I hope that helps.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You could use Classification Rules to pull those values apart, but that would have the challenge that your first value would end up in a different dimension from your second, third, etc. values. Instead, have you considered using a List Prop? That could be enough for what I see on your screenshot. If that would not be enough in terms of length, you could think of introducing name spaces to your list variables.

Level 4

Yes, I have list prop available, so I can use that. Thanks for the suggestion. I think the length should not be a problem. I do not want to use classification rules and store the values in different dimensions. 

Community Advisor

Hi @xcode2295,

When you say "show values in a row format," I hear how do I break these values out separately from each other.  I agree with @FrederikWerner with using Classifications to break out the values, which "feels" like what you're asking.  The one limitation you run into with listProps vs. listEvars is character length, which could undermine what you're trying to do as well.  

"List props are still subject to the 100-byte maximum length. List props are easier to hit this limit and be truncated, since they can contain multiple values. Consider using abbreviations or shortening values if you might hit this 100-byte limit."

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/page-vars/prop.html?lang=en

Jeff Bloomer

Community Advisor

I had a similar requirements for tracking in a project this is how I approached it. 

We had a form where the stakeholder wanted to see individual selections in a form but also the concatenated version.

I used a list variables to be called stacked values and did not actually assigned for any specific purpose just to send stacked values.

When sending to adobe I would put everything in s.listN="type:D:value1|type:D:value2|type:D:value3|type:C:value1,value2,value3"

In the reporting I would see a line item as follow:

type:D:value1

type:D:value2

type:D:value3

type:C:value1,value2,value3

I then used the classification feature on the list variable to create one report Type Detail and Type Concat where type is the specific data use case.

Then I used classification rule builder which said if start with type:D then put in Type Detail and if start with type:C Type Concat.

This way I had the 2 reports that I needed with the details and the concatenated version.

For your situation you have an evar, you could use classification to put in different reports if the section delimited by a : mean something specific in each case lets say type:category:productId. If the syntax always respect this order then you can easily use classification rule builder to split the value into their own reports which would give you the detail you need