Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Capability similar to Hotjar

Level 2

Does Adobe Analytics have a tool that works similar to HotJar? For a given page, I want to get a sense for the frequency by which the top links on the page are clicked. The challenges is that the top links change weekly. I'm really interested in what happens when content is in that top section of the page - is it more likely to get clicked. We'd like to look over the YTD time frame when the actual highlighted links will have changed weekly. The page has an "infinite scroll" and as a result, Hotjar is not rendering. I thought about Adobe Activity Map but that seems to show clicks on actual links vs showing a trend that would illustrate the importance of a link being at the top of the page. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Don't use the Activity Map plugin, use the Activity Map data in Workspace, then you will be able to see all link usage over time and not just what is visible...

Of course, this also relies on having a good Activity Map implementation (actually setting region names instead of letting Adobe choose the region name based on developer set id which are largely unreadable and likely to change).

I use this:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/activity-map/link-tracking/activitymap-lin...

Though instead of using "lpos" I use "data-lpos" so that it conforms better with HTML standards.

I work with our developers to break the page into the regions that I want/need granularity on. So that when Activity Map data is collected, I get regions such as "main menu", "header", "footer", "sub-nav", etc... I even have them create dynamic naming for content blocks based on the heading for the area "More News" becomes "more-news" and "Recommended Content for [user name]" becomes region "recommended-content" (removing the user name for both privacy and to allow that block to roll up for all users)

Then if I need to look at how the main menu or the quick links, or whatever is performing, I can segment on Activity Map Region = "main-menu", pull in the Activity Map links and use the Activity Map Link Instances as my metric.

You can go even further into this if you want, you can override the Activity Map Links with additional data (such as the link and the position, etc)... and while you cannot create classifications on Activity Map directly, you can use processing rules to copy Activity Map data into another dimension (like a prop) and create classifications on it to split out the link from the position data so that you can correlate behavioural changes over time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Don't use the Activity Map plugin, use the Activity Map data in Workspace, then you will be able to see all link usage over time and not just what is visible...

Of course, this also relies on having a good Activity Map implementation (actually setting region names instead of letting Adobe choose the region name based on developer set id which are largely unreadable and likely to change).

I use this:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/activity-map/link-tracking/activitymap-lin...

Though instead of using "lpos" I use "data-lpos" so that it conforms better with HTML standards.

I work with our developers to break the page into the regions that I want/need granularity on. So that when Activity Map data is collected, I get regions such as "main menu", "header", "footer", "sub-nav", etc... I even have them create dynamic naming for content blocks based on the heading for the area "More News" becomes "more-news" and "Recommended Content for [user name]" becomes region "recommended-content" (removing the user name for both privacy and to allow that block to roll up for all users)

Then if I need to look at how the main menu or the quick links, or whatever is performing, I can segment on Activity Map Region = "main-menu", pull in the Activity Map links and use the Activity Map Link Instances as my metric.

You can go even further into this if you want, you can override the Activity Map Links with additional data (such as the link and the position, etc)... and while you cannot create classifications on Activity Map directly, you can use processing rules to copy Activity Map data into another dimension (like a prop) and create classifications on it to split out the link from the position data so that you can correlate behavioural changes over time.

Community Advisor

You're welcome

Basically, since I started working with the data in that format, I've never gone back to the plugin... The plugin was slow anyway.

The key is really just to make sure that everything is properly named so that you can identify and read it properly. (cause names like div1464 means nothing to anyone )