Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

can someone explain how to develop CRON Jobs and schedule reports ?

Level 4

I need to develop CRON Jobs and schedule reports using schedulers, can someone help me on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Gotcha. So I generally relied on my DevOps team to support Cron jobs... so I don't know how much help I can be in setting something up... (I could probably help with the API calls themselves if you need support there).

But for the Above screenshots... in Workspace... when you open up any saved workspace report, you can use the Workspace menu item:

Share > Send file on schedule

This will open a dialogue where you can set up the schedule... if you need to modify that schedule, you can go to the Main Menu:
Components > Scheduled Projects

For Excel Report Builder, this is a plugin that you can add to your Excel (windows only, unless you have CJA and are using the CJA Report Builder). This is basically an interface to create direct data pulls into Excel (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/report-builder/home.html)

One of the options in the interface is "schedule the report". These reports will actually show in the old "Scheduled Reports" interface in Adobe: Components > All Components

Then you should find the option in the list.

This might work for your "custom reports", depending on what you are trying to do (and if you are building them in Excel).. 

Hopefully this gives you a start... sorry I can't help more with setting up a Cron Job; but if you are setting one up, I know that it should be set up from a server. Either a prod one, or something in your company's infrastructure rather than a personal desktop so that is it on a cloud infrastructure or has backup power, etc.... this is another reason to have DevOps involved... 

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Adobe already has a Report Scheduler... Can you explain what type of reports you are trying to run that would require a custom CRON script?

Level 4

@Jennifer_Dungan

Thanks for the reply, 

I am looking for a component, page Activity, user-generated content

reports.

Community Advisor

I was thinking more... are you building your reports in Workspace? That can be scheduled right from the interface...

JDungan_0-1654969477839.png

if you are building in Excel, if you are using Report Builder there is a scheduler there as well.

JDungan_1-1654969660820.png

Or are you trying to create something using the API calls directly which is why you can't use either of the built-in scheduler options?

Level 4

@Jennifer_Dungan 

It's custom requirements so we are using directly API. 

Also,

If I can get any links for the above screenshots are also helpful If I can do some customization?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Gotcha. So I generally relied on my DevOps team to support Cron jobs... so I don't know how much help I can be in setting something up... (I could probably help with the API calls themselves if you need support there).

But for the Above screenshots... in Workspace... when you open up any saved workspace report, you can use the Workspace menu item:

Share > Send file on schedule

This will open a dialogue where you can set up the schedule... if you need to modify that schedule, you can go to the Main Menu:
Components > Scheduled Projects

For Excel Report Builder, this is a plugin that you can add to your Excel (windows only, unless you have CJA and are using the CJA Report Builder). This is basically an interface to create direct data pulls into Excel (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/report-builder/home.html)

One of the options in the interface is "schedule the report". These reports will actually show in the old "Scheduled Reports" interface in Adobe: Components > All Components

Then you should find the option in the list.

This might work for your "custom reports", depending on what you are trying to do (and if you are building them in Excel).. 

Hopefully this gives you a start... sorry I can't help more with setting up a Cron Job; but if you are setting one up, I know that it should be set up from a server. Either a prod one, or something in your company's infrastructure rather than a personal desktop so that is it on a cloud infrastructure or has backup power, etc.... this is another reason to have DevOps involved... 

Good Luck!