Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Can I retrieve metrics for articles published in the last week (or month)?

Level 1

My organization publishes multiple articles every day. Is it possible to set up a search or dashboard to see metrics only on articles published in the last 7 days, or the last month?

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Lol, yeah, that is similar to our manual hier rules that I mentioned... since our "pubdate" prop also includes a timestamp (using ISO standardized datetime formatting - so that our data team can process the information more easily), I could try to use a bunch of "contains" instead of equals like you have, or use the hier which is locked into year, month and day values.

Very similar solutions, but both completely manual... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

This is tricky since dimensions are text based, meaning you can't really pass a publication date as a "date" and use before/after logic....

I'm in a similar situation... Right now, I do track a publication date timestamp in a prop, this is more useful to our data lake that can process this as a timestamp.

But I also use one of our hierarchy variables in this format:

year|month|day|article title

I still can't create a "rolling" report using this, but I can use segments to pull out content based on the year, month and day to pull out content published within a certain window.

So if I wanted to pull out last 7 days right now, I would look for hier level 1 (year) equals "2022", and hier level 2 (month) equals "07" and hier level 3 (day) in "01,02,03,04,05,06,07"

If the date range rolls over a month, I use sub-containers to look for month "06" and day in "28,29,30" OR month "07" and day in "01,02,03...."

If you don't have a data lake, if your pubdate dimension uses a standard date format, you could use Excel Report Builder, and cast that text field to data and create a rolling report in Excel. You can use Excel's build in data formulas to determine the range based on today's date, and once the text field is cast as a date do comparisons to check if it falls inside the range.

Level 1

Thanks for answering my question, Jennifer. I appreciate your taking the time.

A colleague had a different approach. She created a segment (that must be manually updated) that displays metrics for articles published in the past week. Here's a screenshot.

pats60904623_0-1657554742723.png

Not elegant, but it gets the job done!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Lol, yeah, that is similar to our manual hier rules that I mentioned... since our "pubdate" prop also includes a timestamp (using ISO standardized datetime formatting - so that our data team can process the information more easily), I could try to use a bunch of "contains" instead of equals like you have, or use the hier which is locked into year, month and day values.

Very similar solutions, but both completely manual...