Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can edit user by csv be used to update email and username

Level 3

Is it possible to use the 'edit user by csv' to update a username/email for a user (name change) and they will still have access to all their saved Workspaces since their "ID" won't be changing?

I need to do this for about 100 users, so does not seem prudent to get into the API documentation and figure out how to do it via API.

2 Replies

Adobe Champion

Hello,
I'd recommend trying this with a dummy account and see if it works. Either a true dummy or your own using your personal email or an extra email or something.  If it works, you could do it with everyone.  If not, client care/support ticket may be able to do it in bulk

Adobe Champion

Please note that Adobe Client Care may be able to take care of this whole process for you. I know a very manual way of doing this, but they may have a better automated way of doing things now. 

• First off, I would download a master spreadsheet of all users to have as a security (export users list to csv option in admin console)
  • I would definitely try a dummy account first or an account that has no assets (go to analytics > admin > analytics users and assets > select account > transfer assets & make sure there are no assets)
  • Go to admin console and remove the account - this will remove them from the cloud but will not remove the actual account
  • Go to analytics > admin > analytics users and assets > update email and username (this portion will now show blank) > save
  • I would do these in batches of 10, max 20, once you know the process and get the hang of it
  • Save a copy of the master user spreadsheet and select only those users in steps above: edit columns for username, domain, email – modify those accordingly
  • reupload users from steps above back into admin console with spreadsheet from last step – ADD users by csv (upload) – standard template – upload
  • These new users should have all their assets + be federated users. These users will not be able to login while you do this magic, so do few at a time (batches of 10 for example)
  • Adobe IDs should not be affected in any way
  • WARNING: if these users also have Target, do next steps for Target right after – user cannot login if analytics & target are not in sync
    • select target users in admin console and delete (same as for analytics above)
    • don’t worry about target classic, only adobe target (2). For each group within there (ex: default workspace) > export users list to csv, add a ‘product role’ column at the end and fill that out with what is in console
    • in that same csv file, change columns same as for analytics above – update emails
    • upload those users back in (no additional steps unlike in analytics)
    • manually change the product role for each (directly in admin console), with what was recorded in the excel file

Please check with Adobe Client Care first, try out with a dummy account first, and don't forget to save that master user spreadsheet! 

Note: deleting an account in Analytics (not admin console) is permanent - so be careful!