Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Build a Segment Based off Visitors' Most Recent eVar Value

Level 3

Hello,

My team recently enabled eVars that track cookie opt-in/out information for three cookie categories. For each of these, if a visitor opts out of a category and then opts in, we'd like to be able to segment visitors by their most recent selection. Do you know how to build a segment based off visitors' most recently defined eVar value?

Thank you,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

So this solution might seem a bit crazy.. but you have 2 values "opt-in" and "opt-out", and the user can change their value at any time.. so if you want to pull back UVs where the last value collected was "opt-in", you can do so with a calculated metric:

Using the IF function, you can use custom attribution on the "eVarX Instance" for "Last Touch | 30 Days" (or whatever period you need)

and a segment looking at eVarX equals "opt-in", if true, then return UVs metric, otherwise, return a static value of 0:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1689702190934.png

You can change the attribution of the metric here by clicking on the gear:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1689702255350.png

This way you can get the last touch for a specific value (i.e. opt-in)

If you just use the attribution model directly in the freeform, depending on your breakdown dimension, you could still be getting previous values as they were the "last value set on that dimension"... so you need to be careful that you aren't getting inflated values...

Those last touch attributions are great when you are looking at things like purchase conversions... but you are trying to get a sense of the current opt-in rate, and that complicates matters.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Community Advisor
the fact that the "only after sequence" and "only before sequence" settings names are a bit misleading (at best) because they also return one of the hits within the matching sequence

Yes, these sequences are annoying.. they should have "only after" (which is actually after), and "only before" (which is actually before), "after and including" (what it is now) and "before and including" (what it is now).....

I was trying to get a segment work with these, but I hit issues.. hopefully this will work... 

It usually takes some tweaking to get sequential segments working properly... they are a bit cumbersome.