Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Approx Count Distinct vs Unique Vsitor

Community Advisor

Hello everyone,

I am comparing Approx count Distinct Visitor that is calculate on Customer ID with Unique Visitor. When I compare these two values I expect a Unique Visitor > Approx count Distinct but in some cases, it is smaller. Any suggestion?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @Luca_Lattarini ,

Are the number of customer ID crossing the uniques exceeded limit? In that case, it will be counted as 1 item. Also, please note that the function uses the HyperLogLog (HLL) method of approximating distinct counts.  It is configured to guarantee the value is within 5% of the actual value 95% of the time. So, it's not 100% accurate always.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Dear Luca,

What if the same Laptop is used for multiple logins? One Unique Visitor and multiple Customer IDs. Not possible?

Thanks, Arun.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @Luca_Lattarini ,

Are the number of customer ID crossing the uniques exceeded limit? In that case, it will be counted as 1 item. Also, please note that the function uses the HyperLogLog (HLL) method of approximating distinct counts.  It is configured to guarantee the value is within 5% of the actual value 95% of the time. So, it's not 100% accurate always.

Thanks!