Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Android Mobile App data collection issue

Level 1

We have released our app a month ago and we observed that we were not seeing data collected into adobe for a majority of users. Let's suppose if we have 100 users interacting with the app, adobe reports show data of less than 10 users. This has been observed in Android version of the app
iOS version of the app seems to collect data without issues. 

Primarily, 2 questions of mine are

1. Everything seems to be working well in the Android dev builds, what could have caused the issue in prod for a majority of users as I'm able to see data of few users?

2. For iOS apps, when the user doesn't select "allow app to track" - will adobe be able to collect the events? - My assumption was it will be collected as long as it is not shared with 3rd parties, but want to be sure.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Need to do the prod testing then to make sure all data is properly passing. 

However, how can you sure that 100 users interacting with the app? and adobe reports show data of less than 10 users.

This needs to be debug.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

Please check the processing rules of your dev report suite and prod report suite.

It seems that there is some mis match in setting of processing rules.

Level 1

If the issue is with processing rules there would 0 instances of data right? But I can see data flowing from iOS app and few instances from Android app as well. The report suite is the same for iOS Android and website.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Need to do the prod testing then to make sure all data is properly passing. 

However, how can you sure that 100 users interacting with the app? and adobe reports show data of less than 10 users.

This needs to be debug.

Level 1

Back-end team provided the info about logged in users.

Sure, will try to get hold of prod build and validate. Thanks for your prompt responses!

Community Advisor

Depending on how your rules are written, there could be something in prod that could still be causing data to get dropped...

It may not be likely, but its still worth checking.

Level 2

@user01995 There could be several reasons for the difference in data collection between Android development builds and production builds:
1) Ensure that the version of the app released to production is the same or similar to the version that you tested in development. Sometimes, differences between versions can lead to unexpected issues.
2) Do check if there is any kind of protection layer which is causing the analytics call to hit server and you are unable to record data. 
3) Another reason could be your processing rules conditions which might be matching for some App Ids only, as you are able to record some data. 

Level 1

About point 3, my processing rule has a condition to set the variables when the app id is set but not linked to any specific value. Do you still think that could be an issue?

Community Advisor

I use the condition a.appid is set (without passing a specific value), so that shouldn't cause an issue.

Is the drop recent? As in maybe a recent app release is broken, or perhaps the developers are pushing data to an incorrect (non-production) suite.

People on the older version of the app may be tracking fine, but people on the latest version it's broken?

Level 1

In the first phase we tagged pre login screens and we were able to collect the data without issues.

Second phase we went live with all the post login screens implementation. After the second phase release we started to see data not being collected for post login screens.

One strange observation is that pre login screens data, looks like is getting tracked without any issues at least on the face of it.

Community Advisor

Do you have AEP Assurance extension installed on your Apps?

I would test your prod app and check that the calls are being made (both what is send to Adobe and the Post-Processed values, and that what is being send is going to the correct suite.