Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

All Visitor activity before visiting a page

Level 2

Hi,

Looking to create a segment of all visits before a visitor hits a particular page.  I have the below - but am still seeing page i exclude.

Thoughts

Thx

SM_AP1

image.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Looking at that PDF, it uses three segments, and the "sequence / exclude segment" is formed quite a bit differently than yours...

That main segment excludes the entire "Then" part of the container, and it's a hit level segment.

I don't really have your data set to play with, and I would have to play and see if I have any equivalent data in my suite to play around to try and create a similar segment. 

I would suggest in the meantime that you review the PDF again and try to set it up closer to the suggested solution with the three segments.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

The "Only Before Sequence" and "Only After Sequence" include the sequence in what is returned... so I believe the "Then equals XXX" which seems to be a variant of your exclusion is being returned... if that the page you are seeing in your results? Or are other pages also showing?

I find the Before and After Sequence to be really hard sometimes to get it to return the expected results.... 

I will think on ways to help write this segment better.... 

Level 2

Thx Jennifer - i was using this doc to create my segment - i am seeing other pages + the pages i exclude

RockstarTips2019_AudreySalerno.pdf (dropbox.com)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Looking at that PDF, it uses three segments, and the "sequence / exclude segment" is formed quite a bit differently than yours...

That main segment excludes the entire "Then" part of the container, and it's a hit level segment.

I don't really have your data set to play with, and I would have to play and see if I have any equivalent data in my suite to play around to try and create a similar segment. 

I would suggest in the meantime that you review the PDF again and try to set it up closer to the suggested solution with the three segments.

Level 2

Thx for replying Jen.  Just want to run a logic check by you:

Created the BEFORE Segment JW1

SM_AP1_0-1673384531241.png

Only want to look at SUCCESS event Visitors JW2

SM_AP1_1-1673384600441.png

Don't care if it is a NEW visitor or not so ignored that segment - i think this should be good

Created Metric JW-M1

SM_AP1_2-1673384732341.png

now when i pull in the Page dimension for the above Metric - i see all the pages they visited before (i do see some of the exclude pages but it is less than 0.01% of what i see with just visits).

It makes sense to me - but wanted to see if you see any problems.

Thx

Aseem

Community Advisor

That is looking promising.. I will try and review it with a bit more detail to be sure... but with only 0.01% cross over, that could just be coming from a hash collision.....