Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

All Activity Before Checkout

Level 2

I'm tryin to compose a segment where a user enters our site for the first time and then eventually (at some point in their user journey) enters our checkout process. I want to see all pages they consumed before reaching the checkout URL, but I don't think the Sequential Segment I built is giving me the correct results.

It is a Visitor-level container where the first criteria to be met is Visit Number = 1

THEN

Page Name = Checkout-1 or Checkout-2.

Also, the segment is set up only to show people before the sequence.

Is this the right way to set the logic up?

czmudzin_0-1679430259122.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think the problem may be when looking a Visitor, that even though you are looking for "before" sequence, once a user is matched... all the traffic for that visitor is still being returned....

I tried to set up a similar segment, and I am still getting my payment success page (which I assume if the problem you are getting).

And you really need ALL the pages/traffic/actions for the history of this user before they go to your checkout page?

I haven't figured out how to create that logic yet... usually with sequences I stick to Visits.. but that doesn't sound like it will work... you may need to add an exclusion for ALL the hits following that sequence.. but I am not currently sure how to build that....

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think the problem may be when looking a Visitor, that even though you are looking for "before" sequence, once a user is matched... all the traffic for that visitor is still being returned....

I tried to set up a similar segment, and I am still getting my payment success page (which I assume if the problem you are getting).

And you really need ALL the pages/traffic/actions for the history of this user before they go to your checkout page?

I haven't figured out how to create that logic yet... usually with sequences I stick to Visits.. but that doesn't sound like it will work... you may need to add an exclusion for ALL the hits following that sequence.. but I am not currently sure how to build that....

Level 2

A visit would make sense, the trouble is that you never know which visit they may view the checkout funnel. My current workaround is taking the average visit number of when the checkout funnel is seen and then looking at activity prior to that visit number, but it's not ideal. I agree - sequential segments are tricky and I have been wrestling with the logic... If you do come across a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Community Advisor

I hear you.. I am still rolling ideas around in my head.. so if I make any breakthroughs, you will be the first to know....