Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Adobe plug-in: getPercentPageViewed - Showing scroll % more than 100

Level 2

Hi

I have implemented the Adobe plug-in: getPercentPageViewed into our site. When I look into the report s._ppvHighestPercentViewed that got generated, I see lots of scroll percentages showing above 100%. Any idea what it is happening? I have not noticed any issue during implementation and also while debugging.

Thanks in advance

Roy

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Adding context for anyone who may come across this discussion at a later date:

OP's issue is tied to changing page dimensions based on a privacy/consent banner that appears at the top of the page (not a modal) AND a sticky footer that moves as the visitor scrolls up/down. Both elements manipulate the DOM, changing the page height as measured by the plugin.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 8

@niroy - That plugin identifies the page height on load. If the page height is subject to change after load, it's possible for the visitor to scroll beyond the initial length. (Do you have any pages with infinite scroll? What about pages that may load with sections collapsed that the visitor can expand while engaging with the page?) When this happens, you can get scroll percentages greater than 100%.

Level 2

Hi

Thanks a lot for your reply. Answering to your question, no such pages the website has. In fact more than 100% scroll being reported for a page is only 2 fold page. So not much content to scroll. I checked other pages too and could not understand the reason behind it. I tried different browsers of those pages where 100%+ being reported, but I could not produce the same.

It's bit odd and strange and still struggling to understand the reason.

Roy

Level 8

If you want to share a screenshot of the report you're looking at and/or a link to pages where this is happening, I'd be happy to take a closer look. Feel free to DM me if you don't want to post the information publicly.

Correct answer by
Level 8

Adding context for anyone who may come across this discussion at a later date:

OP's issue is tied to changing page dimensions based on a privacy/consent banner that appears at the top of the page (not a modal) AND a sticky footer that moves as the visitor scrolls up/down. Both elements manipulate the DOM, changing the page height as measured by the plugin.

@Brian_Johnson_ I have kind of similar question to this. As I expand some sections in my page e.g. hamburger icons, the s._ppvHighestPercentViewed is not showing. So in my end, in line with this question, when the percentage is greater than 100%, it is not showing. Can you give me idea with this? Thank you so much.