Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

[Adobe Launch] Click based rule - Do I need to repopulate page url in the Set Variables action?

Level 4

Hello,

I have a click based event rule where I send some eVar and events info to AA.

In the same action [Adobe Analytics > Set Variables], If I scroll down, I can see variables for Page Name, Page URL, Server, Channel, Referrer, Campaign etc that are left blank. These are populated when I load my pages.

In this particular event action, do I need to repopulate these variables or should I leave them blank and only pass eVar/events in the beacon?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

the "pageview" only depend what you set within the action "track". means if you set an "s.t" it is a pageview, the "s.tl" a custom link (not counting as page view)

what might mess not clearing? we have some events which should only be on a page view. if I keep them and they are added to the next call, they are vounted in the wrong place (and inflate my data). for example if you want to count the "searches" and set it on the "search result page" (pageview) - you don't want to have another count on any result clicks...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

In Adobe Launch you need to define if the variables/events should be cleared or not. that means if you track a pageview and later track a custom link (click), the later will have all data from the first call.

Normally it is recommended to use the action "core - clear variables" either at begin or end of each action sequence (or rule sequence). or you use the "registerPostTrackCallback" to manually clear desired events&variables.

if you stick to current setup (which might end up having wrong/old date on later calls), you don't need to set the data again (leave fields empty). but if you change to "clear", you need to set again.

remark: the is a Launch forum where you can post your questions regarding Adobe Launch...

Level 4

Thanks, will use the Launch forum for my next thread.

I do have a follow up question:

Say, a page loads with certain sProps that are fired in the main page load rule and the variables are then cleared in the same rule.

Now, in the click action rule > If I also redefine the sProp variables again > Send Beacon, but not fire a page view, This will not inflate my page view count. Correct?

Also, can you please give an example of how old values might be wrongly passed in the click rule if variables are not cleared?

Thanks a lot.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

the "pageview" only depend what you set within the action "track". means if you set an "s.t" it is a pageview, the "s.tl" a custom link (not counting as page view)

what might mess not clearing? we have some events which should only be on a page view. if I keep them and they are added to the next call, they are vounted in the wrong place (and inflate my data). for example if you want to count the "searches" and set it on the "search result page" (pageview) - you don't want to have another count on any result clicks...