Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Adobe DTM: Fire a page load within an iframe

Level 4

I have tagged two different pages in DTM, that is, created two different properties with two different page load rules and event rules. Let's call one page the Main page and the other the Secondary page.

So, the Secondary page is iframed into the Main page. To clarify, when you click on an event button on the Main page, Secondary page pops up in an iFrame there. 

Now I can see tracking firing in every debugger I use for both pages. However the page load rule isn't firing for the iframed property. I've tried loading it with every condition and nothing is working. Can anyone think of a solution? I'm thinking maybe a Direct Call rule? But I'm not sure what would look like...

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Can you elaborate on where you see the values for the ticketing page firing if not in the dev console?

If we disregard the page load rule for a moment, are you getting page views for the ticketing page?

The iframe itself has dtm installed right? with the header and the pageBottom stuff?

You know how you can switch to the staging library? To get your page load rule to fire (assuming you haven't published it) you'd need to get the iframe page to load the staging library, not just the shell movie page.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 5

Why are they in two different DTM properties? Seems like it would be easier to have them in the same property.

Is your Page Load rule published or is it in staging? Do you use the DTM Switch plugin? It's possible that you have the Main page in staging, but the Secondary stage not in staging. If this is the case you could go to the console in developer tools, set the execution context to your iframe/Secondary page and manually load the staging library: javascript:localStorage.setItem('sdsat_stagingLibrary',true);

Have you tried not using any conditions with the page load rule (i.e. setting it to fire on all pages?)

Lastly, you mentioned that you have two DTM properties. In which one is the page load rule (edit: the one that doesn't fire)?

Level 4

Thanks nikitarama​ and apologies if I was unclear.

Okay, these are two different pages which are tracking two different kinds of events and have different 3rd party pixels firing as well. That's why there are two different DTM properties.

One of the pages is a movie page, and the other page, which is iframed onto the movie page, is a ticketing page where user can search for times and movie theaters. So, the page load rule that's not firing is on the ticketing page which is iframed onto the movie page. Make sense?

When a user clicks on a "Get Tickets" button it activates the iframe. Once the frame is activated I can see all the relevant values for the ticketing page firing. But when I look for it on the Network portion of the dev console it's not firing there so nothing is actually being sent to adobe analytics.

EDIT: I should also add that both are published and live. They are also built by two different developers who are different vendors who work for the company I work for.

Correct answer by
Level 5

Can you elaborate on where you see the values for the ticketing page firing if not in the dev console?

If we disregard the page load rule for a moment, are you getting page views for the ticketing page?

The iframe itself has dtm installed right? with the header and the pageBottom stuff?

You know how you can switch to the staging library? To get your page load rule to fire (assuming you haven't published it) you'd need to get the iframe page to load the staging library, not just the shell movie page.

Level 4

nikitarama​ thanks so much for trying to figure this out. I've actually solved the problem. Total user error on my part; I misspelled the reporting server in the adobe analytics tool. Sorry for any inconvenience.