Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Adobe Analytics Workspace

Level 2

what would be best to includes when we are creating a segment hit / visit / visitor and also what is the best metrics to see the interactions on site ( occurrences / visits , unique visitor )

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

1. It is always good to use 'hit' container for creating segment. However, it is very much dependent on the case or report you want to see. 

for e.g. if you want to know how many users have seen particular Ad , then it is best to use 'visitor' container instead of hit. 

and you want to that how many clicked on particular ad then use 'hit' container. So it is totally based on the scenarios and case in hand.

2. if you want to see the number of interactions on site then it is best to use a dedicated events assigned to capture that interaction. however, if you want to know in general what is best way to measure the engagement of users then it is occurrences. I would suggest to go through the https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/occurrences.html?lang=en to understand how 'occurrences' work and calculated.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

1. It is always good to use 'hit' container for creating segment. However, it is very much dependent on the case or report you want to see. 

for e.g. if you want to know how many users have seen particular Ad , then it is best to use 'visitor' container instead of hit. 

and you want to that how many clicked on particular ad then use 'hit' container. So it is totally based on the scenarios and case in hand.

2. if you want to see the number of interactions on site then it is best to use a dedicated events assigned to capture that interaction. however, if you want to know in general what is best way to measure the engagement of users then it is occurrences. I would suggest to go through the https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/occurrences.html?lang=en to understand how 'occurrences' work and calculated.

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hi @DineshPrasanth,

The container level of your segment depends on what kind of information you want to see in the output of your data.

Hit containers are the most narrow and , as @Rajeshwari mentioned, it will let you isolate the most events based on the specific conditions of your segment. For example, you can see how many site entries used a specific tracking code or how many orders used a particular coupon.

Visit containers will include all of the events that happened during the session, even if the condition only calls one of those events or attributes to be true. For example, if you want to understand what the visitors did after landing on your site using a specific tracking code, you will have to set segment container to visits.

Visitor containers will include the comprehensive history of the visitors who qualify for your segment condition. So if you are searching for visitors who first came to the website because of social media, you can set the segment container to visitor and get data on every visit, every event associated with that visitor.

As for the best metrics to see the interactions on your site, it really depends on what information you are trying to get from your data. I usually start with visits to understand the different sessions that go on a particular website. When I want to understand those visits more granularly, I look at page views (and sometimes video plays or audio plays) to get a better idea on how these visitors interact with the content of the website.

Hope this helps!