Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Analytics - Performance Timing Replacement?

Level 3

Hi everyone, I hope you are well!

I have a quick question on tracking page load speeds in Adobe Analytics.

We are currently using the Adobe Analytics Performance Timing Plugin. This is pretty old and the link to the documentation has been redirected to the getPageLoadTime plugin page. On this page there is a message saying it is deprecated.

In this post, there is a suggestion to use a Launch extension. We do not use Adobe Launch as our TMS. Are there any alternative page load time measures in Adobe Analytics?

The MDN documentation notes that the PerformanceTiming feature is deprecated, but it looks like it's still available in most of the major browsers. If there is no alternative, is there a major issue if we keep using it for the time being?

Any insight anyone has, would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies

Level 3

Thanks @igupta ,

The performance navigation method looks interesting. I suppose we could capture these values in a cookie (the same as performance timing) and fire on the next page to prevent additional sever calls. 

Looks like this method is fully custom. I'm guessing there is no Adobe supported method anymore?

Community Advisor

Maybe you could use the getPreviousValue plugin to make the implementation easier.

Instead of firing another call after x seconds, persist the values. And in your page view call, you retrieve them to fill your events/props/eVars of the previous page.

Important: you will have to store the previous page name as well in a separate prop or what, so you can attribute the performance values accordingly.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getpreviousvalue

if you want to avoid unnecessary cookies, you can also just store the whole set of data as an object in sessionStorage and pull it out from there. In times of GDPR maybe the cleaner approach 

Cheers from Switzerland!

Community Advisor

Worth mentioning that sending a second request will impact the bounce rate of your report suite.

Ideally, this should be stored in session storage and sent upon next page view request, similar to what can be done with the getPercentPageViewed plugin

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getpercentpageviewe...

Cheers from Switzerland!