Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Adobe Analytics for Outsystems

Level 2

Hi All,

I'm in the exploration stage of learning analytics and its integration with different application types. 

Can someone please help answer if and how to integrate Adobe analytics with Outsystems web and mobile applications? Does it support MVC applications?

Thanks in advance! 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe Analytics, by itself, has no dependency on what CMS or website framework you're using for your website, and similarly for apps/app platforms (generally speaking). Let me share more from the web perspective.

Adobe Analytics' implementation is, at its core, based on JavaScript entirely. This is run from its own script library, so there is generally very little dependency on other JavaScript frameworks. However, because Adobe Analytics needs to send data about what your users are doing in your website, there needs to be a mechanism to collect that data. The two most common ways are 1) browser events, and 2) a "data layer".

Browser events are easy to understand. For example, when a user clicks a link, the browser sends a "click" event. You could then detect this event to set Adobe Analytics' variables, then send the hit to Analytics' servers. How you detect-and-set is up to you, but the most common implementation method is via Adobe Experience Platform Data Collection's Tags products, which is a tag management system. (If you've used Google Tag Manager, then AEP Tags is similar to that.)

The data layer is a more general-purpose data collection object. Traditionally, it has been a key-value object, and you might see this referenced as "digitalData". More recently, event-driven data layers are preferred. (If you've used Google Tag Manager, then you would have seen this as "dataLayer".)

There are other methods of data collection besides the two that I mentioned above. But the bottomline is that these are almost always independent of your web/app platform/framework. So it doesn't really matter if you're using Outsystems or AEM. Similarly, it doesn't matter if you're using it with a MVC app or some other app framework/design methodology.

Ultimately, you must be able to set Analytics' variables (which correspond to the data that you want to track-and-report), and this is usually done with plain vanilla JavaScript (for websites).

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe Analytics, by itself, has no dependency on what CMS or website framework you're using for your website, and similarly for apps/app platforms (generally speaking). Let me share more from the web perspective.

Adobe Analytics' implementation is, at its core, based on JavaScript entirely. This is run from its own script library, so there is generally very little dependency on other JavaScript frameworks. However, because Adobe Analytics needs to send data about what your users are doing in your website, there needs to be a mechanism to collect that data. The two most common ways are 1) browser events, and 2) a "data layer".

Browser events are easy to understand. For example, when a user clicks a link, the browser sends a "click" event. You could then detect this event to set Adobe Analytics' variables, then send the hit to Analytics' servers. How you detect-and-set is up to you, but the most common implementation method is via Adobe Experience Platform Data Collection's Tags products, which is a tag management system. (If you've used Google Tag Manager, then AEP Tags is similar to that.)

The data layer is a more general-purpose data collection object. Traditionally, it has been a key-value object, and you might see this referenced as "digitalData". More recently, event-driven data layers are preferred. (If you've used Google Tag Manager, then you would have seen this as "dataLayer".)

There are other methods of data collection besides the two that I mentioned above. But the bottomline is that these are almost always independent of your web/app platform/framework. So it doesn't really matter if you're using Outsystems or AEM. Similarly, it doesn't matter if you're using it with a MVC app or some other app framework/design methodology.

Ultimately, you must be able to set Analytics' variables (which correspond to the data that you want to track-and-report), and this is usually done with plain vanilla JavaScript (for websites).