Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Adobe Analytics Data Feed Event List Mapping

Level 2

Hello,

I have a few questions about the post_event_list field from the Adobe Data Feed and the event mapping file included.

In the post_event_list, I am seeing values such as this: "24,010,010,710,810,900,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000"

• Why are there multiple instances of '000'?
  • In the event mapping file that comes with the data feed, there is no event 24. How/where can I find info on what event 24 is? Same for 810 and 900.
  • There are Custom Events from IDs 20100 - 20999. How can I find which Custom Events these are mapped to? They are only named Custom Event 101 - 1000, which does not align with what we see in our Adobe Analytics reporting suite.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi all,

I was able to resolve the issue w/ the help of Adobe support. The strange values I was seeing was due to me exporting the data file to CSV, which was reading the values in the post_event_list column as numbers and doing strange things to it around number notation. I uploaded the file to a SQL server where I was able to see the true values for post_event_list.

Thanks all!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 1

Some data feed columns use lookup files.  This documentation from Adobe explains the lookup files and where they're located.

Community Advisor

post_event_list contains ALL events (including Adobe Standard Events, Instance of eVars, and your Custom Events)... as such, the numbers you see in the list do not correspond to your events.

With your Raw Data Feed, you should get an Events.tsv file that will show you what the numerical value in the list corresponds to.

As a general note, standard events are the lower numbers, "Instance of eVars" start at 100 (i.e. 100 is "Instance of eVar1", 101 is "Instance of eVar2", etc - note, there are some other reserved values in the Instance of eVars, so around Instance of eVar101 the number jumps to 10000), Custom Events start at 200 (i.e. 200 is "event1", 201 is "event2" - the same jump happens like above when you hit "event101" the number jumps to 20100), etc...

In order to properly process the data, you must use the mapping file provided with your feed, you can't just look at the list and use the data as provided... "24" is not "event24" (I don't know what it is... offhand)

Unless you mean there is no "24" listed corresponding to an event (but given you next statements, it doesn't seem like you are using your mapping file... as 20100-20999 should be events 101-1000)... if you are sure that this is the exact data (and not an ETL issue taking the data feed and processing it into your data base), then you may have to reach out to client care and ask why "24" isn't mapped.

I have never seen multiple instances of "000"... check your mapping file, does "000" correspond to an event in your list... maybe on those hits, that specific event is being sent multiple times? This could also be an ETL issue... I would double check and confirm that the data is being processed correctly (just to be safe)

Level 1

Hello! Do you know if the lookup file Event.tsv is provided by Adobe or is that something each user sets up for their own implementation? Thank you.

Community Advisor

It should be provided by default (along with some other lookup tables) as part of the Raw Data exports. You shouldn't have to do anything manually to set this up.

Level 1

Jennifer is correct, event.tsv should come in the data feed along with a few other dimension files.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi all,

I was able to resolve the issue w/ the help of Adobe support. The strange values I was seeing was due to me exporting the data file to CSV, which was reading the values in the post_event_list column as numbers and doing strange things to it around number notation. I uploaded the file to a SQL server where I was able to see the true values for post_event_list.

Thanks all!