Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

100 character limit workaround?

Level 1

Does anybody have a workaround for the 100 character limit for the PageName when it is in a report? I am using the FreeForm table.

I have URLs that are close to 150-200 characters.

Thanks M

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You'll find that most people use an eVar to duplicate their pageName value... this has not only the added bonus of a larger character count, but you can attach it to your clicks/interactions (Adobe removes the pageName from these).

There are a few ways to do this. I assume you are using Adobe Launch.

You can use a Data Element to build out your Page Name values, then use the same Data Element in both your PageName and eVar values.

Or, if you want to minimize the length of your tracking calls, you can actually use "Dynamic Variable Notation" and in your eVar use "D=pageName" (this is case sensitive)

What D= does, is it tells Adobe to take the value of the passed item (pageName, c1, v2, etc) and use it for the value of the current variable.

You may be wondering, "if I use this, will I get the truncated value of pageName"... I am using D=pageName with no issue... the truncation happens after the value duplication.

Sample using the Dynamic Variable Solution:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1661461846269.png

Or Sample just using the Data Element:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1661461964027.png

For some reason in Launch, the "Duplicate From"

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1661462036628.png

Only allows you to choose other eVars when applying to an eVar, or props when applying to a prop.... but essentially the D= is a "duplicate from", you are just setting it manually, instead of using the built-in option.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

There is no work around in sense of increasing it in same variable.

I copy to a new evar which then has a limit of 512 if memory serves me.

GLTU

Level 1

Hi Pablo,

I am very very new to Adobe Analytics. Can you tell me how to copy the content to a new evar? Or point me at some information on how to do this.

Very Many Thanks,

Mary

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You'll find that most people use an eVar to duplicate their pageName value... this has not only the added bonus of a larger character count, but you can attach it to your clicks/interactions (Adobe removes the pageName from these).

There are a few ways to do this. I assume you are using Adobe Launch.

You can use a Data Element to build out your Page Name values, then use the same Data Element in both your PageName and eVar values.

Or, if you want to minimize the length of your tracking calls, you can actually use "Dynamic Variable Notation" and in your eVar use "D=pageName" (this is case sensitive)

What D= does, is it tells Adobe to take the value of the passed item (pageName, c1, v2, etc) and use it for the value of the current variable.

You may be wondering, "if I use this, will I get the truncated value of pageName"... I am using D=pageName with no issue... the truncation happens after the value duplication.

Sample using the Dynamic Variable Solution:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1661461846269.png

Or Sample just using the Data Element:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1661461964027.png

For some reason in Launch, the "Duplicate From"

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1661462036628.png

Only allows you to choose other eVars when applying to an eVar, or props when applying to a prop.... but essentially the D= is a "duplicate from", you are just setting it manually, instead of using the built-in option.

Community Advisor

or another approach to duplicate page name to an evar is setting up processing rule, which the duplication is happening on Adobe server side.

BTW, evar byte limit is 255.

Community Advisor

Remember that pageName would be truncated to 100char to dynamic variables or processing rules will most likely limit to 100 char during processing in your eVar as well.

We use an eVar for pageName and we just reuse same adobe launch data element for both s.pageName and s.eVarX

Community Advisor

As I said above in my post, I use D=pageName in my eVar and my eVar is not truncated to 100 characters... the truncation of pageName happens after the duplication. And this keeps the URL string smaller, rather than sending a large string value twice in the same call.

I would always defer to keeping things cleaner and smaller, but as I said in my earlier post, both options work. (I am not sure about the processing rule, where it sits - before or after truncation)

Level 8

@Jennifer_Dungan is correct. Dynamic variables will populate with what's visible in the network call. This means that using D=pageName to populate an eVar will copy up to 255 characters into the eVar. It will not truncate to 100 characters.

For reference, here are more details on order of operations for Adobe Analytics processing steps: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/processing-rules/processing-rule... 

Community Advisor

Thanks @Brian_Johnson_ that processing order is helpful But I don't see where the truncation occurs... So I am going to assume it's in the same step as "Clean URL is added as page name if it is not set" (since this would be a logical place to apply other rules and restrictions) and that is fairly far into the execution.

Level 8

Agreed. It's not exactly clear where that specific step occurs, but it's definitely in the "After Processing Rules" section, which means it happens after anything we can configure either through data collection or Processing Rules.

Level 1

Thanks Pablo. I just need to learn how to copy the PageName to an eVar.