Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

Workfront Balancer - how to prevent WF Balancer from re-adjusting user allocated time

Level 2

Hello WF Community,

@admin

I have a question related to the way WF Balancer currently behaves in my org and I was wondering whether this is a standard system behaviour and whether it can be modified?

The case I am referring to is as follows: a user has a standard working week of 5 days and 30 hours across the week (6 hours a day) to spend on projects, but then the user decides to take a day off, meaning they now have a 4 days and 24 hours to spend on projects. In those instances, instead of taking the change in availability into consideration and re-adjusting, WF Balancer does not take into consideration the PTO calendar of the user and instead spreads the original 30 hours across the remaining 4 days, thus making the user seem as they have been overbooked. Furthermore, we have observed that if a user takes 4 days off (out of a 5 working week), WF balancer sometimes goes back and adds time in the previous week, again making the user appear as overbooked which to me does not make any sense at all.

Can you advise whether there is a setting that needs to be adjusted so that this does not happen?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As per Workfront documentation there are only 3 situations where allocations should get automatically adjusted:

Actions that reset adjusted allocations

The following actions either reset or modify the daily, weekly or monthly allocations for users after you have manually adjusted them as described in the Modify user allocations section in this article:

• When you shorten the length of a work item which shortens the amount of days in its Duration, the adjusted allocated hours from the lost days is added to the allocation amount of the last day of the work item.
  • When you change the amount of Planned Hours on an assignment or on the work item, the new number of Planned Hours redistributes uniformly for the entire Duration of the work item.
  • When you add or remove an assignee to a work item and this causes the Planned Hours of the task to change, the adjusted values redistribute uniformly.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-resources/the-workload-balancer/manag...

If your situation doesn't fit the description I would report this as a potential bug. Out team is struggling for >year with odd behaviours in Workload Balancer related to adjusting allocations. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Are your users entering their Time Off from their profile see your PMs/planners can see in the workload balancer when any resource has off and not overbook them on surrounding dates?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

Hi Madalyn, 

Users are entering their time off in their Workfront PTO calendar; in our case, the PMs/planners are not overbooking the resources, the Balancer is re-distributing the hours (i.e adding hours to compensate for the time off) automatically across the remaining days.

Thanks,

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As per Workfront documentation there are only 3 situations where allocations should get automatically adjusted:

Actions that reset adjusted allocations

The following actions either reset or modify the daily, weekly or monthly allocations for users after you have manually adjusted them as described in the Modify user allocations section in this article:

• When you shorten the length of a work item which shortens the amount of days in its Duration, the adjusted allocated hours from the lost days is added to the allocation amount of the last day of the work item.
  • When you change the amount of Planned Hours on an assignment or on the work item, the new number of Planned Hours redistributes uniformly for the entire Duration of the work item.
  • When you add or remove an assignee to a work item and this causes the Planned Hours of the task to change, the adjusted values redistribute uniformly.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-resources/the-workload-balancer/manag...

If your situation doesn't fit the description I would report this as a potential bug. Out team is struggling for >year with odd behaviours in Workload Balancer related to adjusting allocations.