Expand my Community achievements bar.

What naming conventions have you set up for naming objects in Workfront?

Level 2

We are currently using a department abbreviation as a prefix and the object type as a suffix, with the descriptive name in between. This can make for some long object names but is useful if searching for an object owned by a specific department. Curious how others think about this and if/how it varies by object type.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi Lori,

I believe @Chris Berry - inactive‚ presented the Definitive Work on this matter, so I'm tagging him to see if he'll consent to an interview.

Regards,

Doug

Employee

Thank you for the kind words, @Doug Den Hoed‚, -- I'll defer to the Community on the resonance of this solution, but I have found that a doubly-formed prefix of a 2- or 3-character prefix followed by a 2- or 3-character department code provides a good balance of scalability and identification that is tied to object ownership. The first ordinal prefix (with a leading '0') establishes the "Virtual Partition" and allows to scale effectively among many business units in a single instance, while the 2nd part provides the departmental identifier for quick object association. This naming convention can carry through to as many objects as one feels comfortable, but the full benefits are not realized unless you are consistent across as many configuration objects as determined.

For example: the following naming convention notation identifies the following configuration objects associated with the 15th business unit virtual instance in the single physical instance for the Marketing Operations ("MOP") department:

15 MOP Digital Asset Request Form - Custom Form

15 MOP Graphic Designer - Job Role

15 MOP Requested Work Volume Over Time - Report

15 MOP Print Materials - Expense Item

15 MOP Production Manager Layout Template - Layout Template

Another department under this "umbrella instance" may be the Creative Services ("CRS") department:

15 CRS Campaign Request Form - Custom Form

15 CRS Art Director - Job Role

15 CRS Deliverables Due This Month - Report

15 CRS Requesting Department - Custom Field

15 CRS Creative Worker - Layout Template

I do not employ a suffix to this naming convention, the examples above only illustrate how the convention is applied as an example for an object. The benefits are realized when you can easily discern objects throughout the environment in terms of ownership and management hierarchy. This particularly offers benefit in many selection fields where this convention leverages the typeahead filter to quickly identify a group of objects among many (think: Job Roles).

Hope this helps!