Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

We are looking to update a custom field that is on one of our project level custom forms. \n\nI want to use data from another system to update this field for 2000+ projects. \n\nWould this be possible using a Kickstart or is there another way?

Level 1

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 9

You can't update data on an existing field unless you use a 3rd party application.

I used a method of segmenting the projects that I wanted to update with a field and adding them to a filter in a report. So, if 200 projects were being updated with abc data, only those 200 projects will appear in my report. Then that allowed me to 'mass select' the projects to update like that. See the comment I pasted below - it wasn't pretty but it was functional.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Dawnmarie. I had to backfill a number of projects with a new custom field. Since these projects existed already, I couldn't use a kickstart.

I did find a workaround however, although crude. I created a report and filtered on project # equals xyz or project # equals xyz. I then switched over to text mode and copied the code.

I pasted into excel and used =CONCATENATE to join the first line and project # (user ID in your case). Each new record was a new line. I added an equal number of second lines beneath these records. Then I added a number order to each area. (so each section had lines labeled 1-25). When I chose to sort by that number, it puts them in number order.

OR:1:referenceNumber=408000

OR:1:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:100:referenceNumber=408000

OR:100:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:101:referenceNumber=194500

OR:101:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:102:referenceNumber=402060

OR:102:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:103:referenceNumber=386340

OR:103:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:104:referenceNumber=406653

OR:104:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:105:referenceNumber=388770

OR:105:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:106:referenceNumber=294948

Once those are all segmented in a report, you can mass edit as needed.