Expand my Community achievements bar.

Waterfall > Agile in Marketing

Level 2
Workfronters, One of your fellow modern work management pioneers is looking to talk with a marketing organization who has transitioned from waterfall to agile. Their company is transitioning to agile enterprise-wide and marketing leadership is looking to visit with someone who has gone through this transition and can share the best practices to consider. If you'd be interested in having this conversation with a fellow Workfronter, let me know! Stephanie Hartsog Director, Customer Advocacy Workfront
3 Replies

Level 2
Honestly, because marketing is deadline-based work, I would recommend a kanban approach over an agile one. They are very similar, except you don't get stuck in the never-ending argument of "we've already picked what we have in our sprint for the week." That just won't fly when you have a print ad due to a newspaper on Tuesday or a promotion starting on Thursday that you just found out about. In a perfect world, these things would be planned out far in advance, but I've found that is never the case with marketing. Darren Harper Arvest Bank Group Inc

Level 3
Darren, We are bumping into some of these issues as well. The other aspect of agile I struggle with is the concept that "anyone" can take an assignment, and you can do the assignments in any order. That falls apart when you have a writer/editor/designer/proofer with each dependent on the successful task completion of the one before you. It's also possible I don't fully understand Agile concepts. Dave Parker Seed Company

Level 2
It definitely works better when you have many assets that do the same role for the same project. We have only two designers and an art director, so you pretty much know who is going to be doing what for any given request. But I have the same feedback for the resource planner tool, since it's overkill for small teams. I will say that just having the "left to right" view for projects has been helpful versus long, arduous dashboards of reports. You can watch something go through the flow then finally get checked off the list. Darren Harper