Expand my Community achievements bar.

troubleshooting CONCAT

Level 3
I'm new to all this, and am not sure what I have wrong. I've created a custom view. In that view I'd like to CONCAT some columns together into a new column. Here's my code. What did I do wrong? displayname=TestColumnShowType textmode=true valueexpression=CONCAT( {CPP-Events}, "-", "Test", "-", {Name} ) valueformat=HTML Byron Nash INSP, LLC.
7 Replies

Level 10
Hi Byron, Without testing it out myself, here are the steps I would take to debug this: Remove the extra space at the begging and end between the parens and the brackets (unless that's just how it's displaying here) Add a 'DE:' before CPP-Events (I assume this is one of your custom fields and not a native WF field). The DE: tell WF it's a custom field. So it would be {DE:CPP-Events} Change Name to 'name' (lower case). This assumes you're looking to use the WF field called name (i.e. the task or issue name). If it's a custom field, add the DE: Hope that helps.

Level 3
Thanks! I bet it was the DE. I'm sure I'll have more questions later but this helps a lot! Byron Nash INSP, LLC.

Level 3
Next problem: I'm trying to pull a piece of data from the project. It's returning something but not the right thing. I'm getting the entire project name instead of the "Promo Type". What am I doing wrong now? displayname=ProjectNameCustom textmode=true valueexpression=CONCAT({DE:project:Promo Type}, "-", {referenceNumber}) valueformat=HTML Byron Nash INSP, LLC.

Level 10
Without knowing what object you're acting on and trying to obtain information from, I would try removing the 'project:' node. The syntax wouldn't work anyway. If that doesn't work, let us know what object you're working on and trying to get to. For example, is your View or Report looking at Projects, Tasks, or Issues? Then what type of form is the Promo Type field on (Project, Task, Issue)?

Level 3
I am working with a View on a Task Report. I'm trying to pull together various values from a mix of Task and Project level custom fields. In the end, I'd like to CONCAT them together into one string that I can use in my pipeline as a filename or project name. Promo Type is a Project level custom field. I'm also trying to pull, in some cases, the value field for a custom form field. I saw an example of that (using valueexpression) but it doesn't seem to work when you start calculating and concatenating things. Byron Nash INSP, LLC.

Level 10
Hi Byron, You're getting closer to sorting out the exact syntax for referencing fields in valueexpressions. In this example, I'm assuming you're looking at a task or issue report. When jumping objects, the following should be used: valueexpression=CONCAT({project}.{DE:Promo Type}, "-",{referenceNumber}) Thanks, Narayan

Level 3
Awesome, yes I'm getting there. This info is not obvious in the docs! How do you go between the two values of a field at will? Let's say I wanted to CONCAT some values based on the hidden value and some based on the visible one? Byron Nash INSP, LLC.