Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

The 2nd Coolest Textmode Column I Invented This Week

Level 10

I'd hoped to write this one up as a blog, but Earth simply spins too quickly, so instead, I'd like to invite you to try out this textmode gem I invented this week. In fact, let's at least make a game of it!

WARNING: If you're going to play, WAIT to read the other threads below, and SPOILER ALERT: this may lead to editing ALL of your Project Reports and Views.

Create or edit a Project Report

Add a column

Switch to Text Mode

Paste in the definition below

Save and run the report

Examine the results in the column

Scroll down and add what you think this does, how much time it will save your users, and how else it might Change Your Workfont Life

Scroll back up and read what others thought, save, and are taking it next

Enjoy, and thanks for playing!

Regards,

Doug

displayname=Current Task(s)

listdelimiter=

listmethod=nested(tasks).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}>0,"",IF(ISBLANK({handoffDate}),"",IF(ISBLANK({actualCompletionDate}),CONCAT(" | ",{name}),""))) valueformat=HTML

16 Replies

Level 10
Client 1: Hi Doug, That is great! This is what we are asked every weekly meeting! Thanks, Philip

Level 10
Client 2: I like it! And will share it with Lyza. It can also be used as a “clean up” report to show tasks that we missed completing. Obviously, the first 2 tasks in the report have predecessors complete in reality or we would not be working on them (hopefully, anyway!), but having this new column on the report makes template and/or project dependency errors jump out at us. Thanks again! Theresa

Level 10
Client 3: Doug, as per my message, this new report immediately pointed out some problems with the templates that are being used where predecessors are pointing to incorrect tasks showing tasks as ready to go when they aren't. It also showed some incomplete tasks. This one's a keeper! -- Chad

Level 10
Client 4: This one is worth going through with the COO tomorrow as it might even remove a report from the meeting dashboard, saving the whole team time every week.

Level 3
This is great Doug!! We are still in initial configuration so just wrapping our heads around reporting & text mode. I can see this column being extremely helpful - thank you for posting!!

Level 10
Very nice, Doug! I made a slight change and am using // to separate the task names rather than a pipe. Will share with our teams and I'm sure they will love it. Cheers

Level 7
so, I am just now seeing this 2 years later-- I can't believe this wasn't one of the top 15 tricks / text mode things at LEAP (or maybe it was in 2017) VERY COOL!!!! THANK YOU =) Tegwyn Stockdale Production Coordinator / PM BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.

Level 10
Thanks Tegwyn, I'm glad you found it, and found it useful -- see you at LEAP! Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 6

Thanks for flagging this @Tegwyn Stockdale I stumbled upon it because of your message. We definitely can use this as well I'm seeing a series of commas in some places in the Current Task column. Anyone have suggestions for stripping these out ? Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA0690z000007ZhbCAAS.png

Level 7
I get that too ---i think it's when you have more than one task that could possibly begin...?? didn't have time to look into as far as predecessor set up. are you at LEAP? Tegwyn Stockdale Production Coordinator / PM BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.

Level 10
Try using the below for the listdelimeter line: listdelimiter= ­ As another option, if you would like to see your tasks going down the page (one per line), use the following:\ listdelimiter= David Cornwell

Level 6
That did it. Thanks so much @David Cornwell ! Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA

Level 7
@David Cornwell how would you go about switching from '|' to '//' as a task separator? Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 10
Hi Richard - you just change the pipe symbol to whatever you like in the valueexpression. See below with the // instead of the |. valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}>0,"",IF(ISBLANK({handoffDate}),"",IF(ISBLANK({actualCompletionDate}),CONCAT(" // ",{name}),""))) David Cornwell