Expand my Community achievements bar.

Task Constraint: Default to As Soon As Possible

Level 10
Hello! Does anyone know if there is a way to make system-wide all tasks to revert to As Soon As Possible when created? Thank you.
6 Replies

Level 7
I thought that WAS the default. What does your's default to?

Level 10
Hi, Greg. It defaults to Start No Earlier Than. It originally defaulted to As Soon As Possible but when the Consultant was here setting up Workfront system for our business unit, apparently our company team requested it be changed to Start No Earlier Than. Now, we would like it to be changed back to As Soon As Possible. I have a hunch that change may need to be done by Workfront.

Level 7
Assuming this also happens when you create a brand new Project WITHOUT using a template, then I'm guessing maybe they did something special and you're right, you may have to get them to undo. If you're using templates, maybe just the template needs to be changed.

Level 10
Hi Susan, It's in the Setup menu (if you have SysAdmin access you can change it). You can find it under: Project Preferences -> Tasks & Issues The setting is called ' Start Date '. You have two options: ' Based on the Project Planned Date '. If you select this, tasks will have an 'As Soon As Possible' constraint. This is what you want I believe. ' Today '. If you select this, tasks will have a 'Start No earlier than' constraint and are set with today's date. We have it set this way because we generally don't want to schedule tasks for the past. If you choose to use the project start date for new tasks and it is in the past, any changes to the task dates need more effort/clicks to change. Regards, David

Level 7
Good information! Thanks David.