Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Sorting Tasks and their Sub Tasks together in a Task Report

Level 2

I've got a Task report that displays tasks and sub tasks, and indicates whether or not a task is a task or a sub task, but I can't figure out how to easily sort the report so the tasks and sub tasks are listed together.  I tried grouping the report by task, and that doesn't combine the tasks and sub tasks either. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @itmailbox,

I suggest you add either the Task Number column or the WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) column to your Task report's view, highlight that column, then in the formatting panel above the column, check off the box to sort Ascending. Doing so will force the report to be in "logical" task order. If you are showing multiple Projects within the same report, you could also add the Project column and sort by it (first), and then by Task Number or WBS (second). To make it obvious to the viewer, it's also best practice to show the columns that drive the sort in order from left to right (e.g. Project Name, Task Number or WBS, then Task Name, etc.)

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @itmailbox,

I suggest you add either the Task Number column or the WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) column to your Task report's view, highlight that column, then in the formatting panel above the column, check off the box to sort Ascending. Doing so will force the report to be in "logical" task order. If you are showing multiple Projects within the same report, you could also add the Project column and sort by it (first), and then by Task Number or WBS (second). To make it obvious to the viewer, it's also best practice to show the columns that drive the sort in order from left to right (e.g. Project Name, Task Number or WBS, then Task Name, etc.)

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use