Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Sorting by a custom calculated field on a report

Level 5

I have a calculated field on a custom form called "CalcPriScore"

That field is a sorted column on a report. It is string though, rather than numerical so it isn't sorting properly. How can that column to be sorted numerically instead?

I have this text mode for the CalcPriScore (Prioritization Score) column:

displayname=Prioritization Score (max 30)

linkedname=direct

namekey=CalcPriScore

querysort=DE:CalcPriScore

sortOrder=1

sortType=desc

textmode=true

valueexpression=ROUND({DE:CalcPriScore},1)

valuefield=CalcPriScore

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

I tried valueformat=Int, but that didn't work either.

As you can see in the screenshot of the prioritization score column from my report, the top item is rated 9.5 and is at the top because 9 is greater than 2 when a string, vs looking at 9.5 vs 22.7 as numbers.

0694X00000DWDX3QAP.jpg

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Cathy,

I still occasionally catch myself in such situations, where I've neglected to change the datatype on a calculated column from the default "Text" to the proper datatype (e.g. Number, in your case). Provided data has not yet been entered, Workfront allows the datatype to be changed...but once data exists, the datatype cannot be changed.

To change it (which although painful, is usually the best answer, and would solve your problem), I typically:

• rename the original parameter with a suffix (e.g. _DangItWrongDataType)
  • save (to "register" the name change)
  • create a "new" parameter with the correct name AND data type
  • add it next to the original parameter on the relevant custom form(s)
  • (optional) save (to "force" the new calculation to run)
  • (optional) inspect some existing data to confirm the new formula worked (e.g. "9.5" vs 9.5 in your case)
  • (optional) remove the original parameter from the custom form(s)
  • delete the original parameter

If, for some reason, you cannot or prefer not to do likewise, you could instead try wrapping your existing original parameter with the NUMBER keyword to convert it into a number, which might then also sort it numerically (untested)...but I have a suspicion that the querysort (which controls sorting) will still treat it as string.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Cathy,

I still occasionally catch myself in such situations, where I've neglected to change the datatype on a calculated column from the default "Text" to the proper datatype (e.g. Number, in your case). Provided data has not yet been entered, Workfront allows the datatype to be changed...but once data exists, the datatype cannot be changed.

To change it (which although painful, is usually the best answer, and would solve your problem), I typically:

• rename the original parameter with a suffix (e.g. _DangItWrongDataType)
  • save (to "register" the name change)
  • create a "new" parameter with the correct name AND data type
  • add it next to the original parameter on the relevant custom form(s)
  • (optional) save (to "force" the new calculation to run)
  • (optional) inspect some existing data to confirm the new formula worked (e.g. "9.5" vs 9.5 in your case)
  • (optional) remove the original parameter from the custom form(s)
  • delete the original parameter

If, for some reason, you cannot or prefer not to do likewise, you could instead try wrapping your existing original parameter with the NUMBER keyword to convert it into a number, which might then also sort it numerically (untested)...but I have a suspicion that the querysort (which controls sorting) will still treat it as string.

Regards,

Doug

Perfect solution, @Doug Den Hoed‚! Once again, thank you for your help. My report is functioning as intended now. 🙌