Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Setting access to edit any project BUT NOT as a Sys Admin

Level 4
Good afternoon, Is there anyway to set permissions settings that will enable someone to edit projects that are owned by other people WITHOUT: giving them Manage right on a project-by-project basis making them a God-like system administrator I've looked at creating a custom Access Level but there's no Manage option under the detailed Project settings, only variations on sharing. We have a department coordinator who will be working with our project owners to update and closeout projects as necessary to help keep our projects up to date. She can currently change percentage completion information but she can't adjust dates if she's not the owner or the owner doesn't give her rights to that one project. As an Admin, I can do whatever I need to do with any project. I'd like to figure out some means of giving her that access level without making her a full-blown system admin. Any suggestions or do we just need to plan on project-by-project rights sharing? Thanks, Chris Chris Watson KVH Industries, Inc.
6 Replies

Level 7
Do you work with Project Templates at all? If yes, at the Template level, you can give the person Project Manage Access rights (assuming they have a Plan License). This setting can be found under Template Actions --> Project Sharing. Once you add the person under this section with Manage access, anytime a Project is opened using the Template that person will automatically have Manage access rights to the Project. This saves time so you don't have to give Manage access rights to the Projects on a one-by-one basis. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 3
What we found is that if the user is given access to contribute to the project, they can create new tasks. When they do, they can edit the duration, predecessor and expenses. They will not be able to change the status of the project though. So, we give a very limited template and let the user populate the tasks that need duration and predecessors. You're correct that they cannot edit duration of an existing task, but they will be able to on the one they created. Not going to be able to help you with the ability to change the status. They need a planners for that. Dave Dave Rulon Great Dane Savannah, GA 912-644-2452

Level 10
I set up a Team that includes the people that would have the kind of access you want. Then I share the Project (and it's in the Template also) via Project Access and give the team "Manage" access with all the highest level of access. They can't change Status and that is an issue that annoys them no end. The other side effect is that when a Project is Current and you start changing Due Dates, notifications start to fly, which doesn't help with people who are already ignoring notifications, and they can't turn to Planning to update their plans. The bigger issue with this has been training, various levels of comfort using a tool like this, and also overcoming the strong desire to set every task in a Project to "Must Finish On." Jill Ackerman | Director, Direct Marketing Lindblad Expeditions 96 Morton Street | New York, NY 10014 Ph. 212.261.9080 | Fax. 212.265-3770 jilla@expeditions.com | "http://www.expeditions.com/"> www.expeditions.com

Level 4
Thanks. I hadn't thought about using a team as one of the mechanisms to off the Manage access. Between that and the templates, I can provide access going forward. We'll just have to change settings on existing projects one by one as the template change won't be retroactive. Our team is very good at leaving the constraints on "As Soon as Possible" except when a specific deadline call for a restriction (e.g., an email can't be sent before a certain day, etc.). We've just got some challenges with final clean up so it's mostly setting the tasks to 100% complete. Date changes for open projects won't be as involved. Chris Watson KVH Industries, Inc.

Level 7
Just a quick note, you can bulk edit the projects for the access permission. Create a project report that pulls in the projects that you want, and then click on the top box on the right-hand side of the report to highlight all of the projects, and then click on the "Share" button, type in person(s) name and indicate the project access and Save. Now that person(s) will have the upgraded access to those projects. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 4
Try bulk editing every task you want her to be able to change and give her task "management access" she will be able to add tasks, change tasks dates and percentage complete, which if set up correctly in the system settings all tasks on duration will reflect on the project percentage complete as the tasks are changed. Hope that helps. Call me if you need to. Sometimes I type so fast that the explanation is as clear a mud. Samantha Senior Specalist, Creative Services 817-424-2186