Expand my Community achievements bar.

Same field populating on 2 separate custom forms?

Level 2
hi all, I have searched the forum but can't seem to find exactly what I need here. I am looking to populate a field in a custom form by connecting it to a field in an already existing form.... for instance, if someone adds the "subject Line" in a custom form in a, say, Deploy task in the project, it will automatically pull into the "subject Line" field in an Invoicing task (different custom form) in that same project. From my understanding, this is possible - probably using a calculated custom field, but I just can't seem to find what I need to do/input to make these two things connect. I am not a Workfront guru, so I'm looking for as simple of an explanation as possible! Please note: this is separate from updating a custom field later - I know that you will have to update it in the 2nd custom form separately. I'm talking about initially, when the project is set up, how can I populate a calculated custom field from another pre-existing custom field in a form on a different task? any help is appreciated!! Thanks! Alex Alex Afriyie Questline, Inc.
4 Replies

Level 10
My understanding of your issue is: You have two tasks forms - call it TaskA and TaskB. TaskA form has the field Test1. TaskB form has the field Test2. TaskA form is attached to actual task TaskA. TaskB form is attached to actual task TaskB. When the user fills up the field Test1 on TaskA, you want Test2 on TaskB form to be filled up even though they are on each different tasks. As far as I know, it can't be done natively on Workfront because they are on two different tasks but some gurus here eat impossible for breakfast so maybe they have a solution for you.If TaskA form and TaskB form are both used on actual task TaskA, then you'd be able to see that Test1 field would flow to Test2 field with Test2 field being a calculated field getting Test1. That said, I would say to use API and some coding would get this done. Polly Co

Level 10
Hi Alex, In addition to Polly's assertions and suggestions, you might also consider maintaining these fields to the Project level, noting that it is technically possible to the "pull down" those values to Task A and Task B, respectively, for presentation purposes (although you could just as easily show the Project level fields directly). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Community Advisor
LOL "I eat impossible for breakfast" needs to be a button at LEAP next year! Heather Slater Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.

Level 6
We do this in many instances where a default value comes from a parent object (Program->project, or Project->task) and may need to be overridden in some circumstances. In these cases we have 3 fields: Project.customfield, task.customfield, and task.customfield_ project.customfield and task.customfield are text (for example). task.customfield_ is a calculated field, with the valueexpression of IF (ISBLANK(customfield), Project.customfield, customfield) If no override is necessary, you could just simply use the calculated value of Project.customfield --- but that seems redundant. Marty Gawry - CapabilitySource