Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Retrieving custom forms from project issues via API

Level 2
Hey all - I'm working on a small, custom app that will use the Workfront API to help automate certain recurring tasks for my job. I've got a project set up as an issues queue and created a custom form to capture all the info I need, but am having trouble getting the API to return the custom form data. I don't see any mention of custom forms in the API explorer, is this even possible? Nick Scardino Rosco Laboratories, Inc.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
I'm not familiar with API at all, but notice that a lot of it is similar to reporting. In reporting, the custom form is located using "category" so the same might be true via the API. -skye

Level 5
You should be able to get any custom field on the object with DE:Field Name So on a user object: {{URL}}/attask/api/v9.0/USER/search? DE:Manager Hierarchy= Sullenberger&DE:Manager Hierarchy_Mod = cicontains &apiKey={{APIKEY}} Melinda Layten Technical Project Manager - API and Integration Workfront

Level 2
Thanks for the info Melinda, but I'm a little confused by the terminology. Is a custom field the same as a custom form, or are custom fields the inputs used in a custom form? Where would I find the custom form's custom field name? Nick Scardino Rosco Laboratories, Inc.

Level 5
Custom forms (categories) contain custom fields (parameters). Categories and Parameters are what you will find in the API. DE: stands for Data Element and is the shortcut to refer to custom fields on a data object such as User, Project, Task, etc. If you set a custom field via a report in the UI it auto-attaches the first custom form that it finds with that field. If you set a custom field via the API and no custom forms are attached with that field, the value isn't saved at all. Category (custom form) used to be limited to one per object, but you may now have multiple forms on an object. But no matter how many times a field appears on multiple forms on the same object it can only have one value for the object. Usually you report or filter based on the values of the fields, but the forms must be attached for the fields to be saved.

Level 2
Great, thanks. I also see there's a ' parameterValues' field that returns everything which is exactly what I'm looking for. Nick Scardino Rosco Laboratories, Inc.