Expand my Community achievements bar.

Report Creation: Grouping by Custom Form Field - In order to display the custom groupings on a Chart's X Axis.

Level 3
Problem: I have a report I am trying to create, and I need to group the results by a field that is in the custom form of the projects. I am able to search for a field or use text mode to customize Columns to display fields from the custom form, however, Groupings does not give me the option to group by custom form field. When I try to use textmode to give me the grouping I desire, it creates a grouping called "No Value" and lumps everything into it. Even when using a chart to display the custom form field grouping on an x axis, it displays it as a single grouping called "No Value". Is there a workaround for this problem or is workfront limited in what items can be grouped by?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Ethan, We have run into this many times. Unfortunately, if you do a custom grouping, you cannot use a chart or the summary views. You get that No Value you talked about. Not sure what object type you are reporting on so don't why the custom field of the project is not displaying. But I know for instance with the assignment object type (my favorite), there is no way to pull project, task, or issue information into a grouping. :(

Level 3
Anthony, That is unfortunate since it means that I have to export to excel and run a pivot table to get the results I desire in the format I desire. The more I try to make complex reports in Workfront involving custom forms and calculations, the more apparent the limitations of Workfront are. Hopefully the development team at Workfront can enhance the reporting capabilities of Workfont in the near future.

Level 10
Hi Ethan, I just updated a thread regarding creating a text-mode matrix report. In this example, it is an Assignment report and I was able to group the matrix report on the vertical axis based on two custom Task fields. https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/topic=62&post=4416#p4416 Which type of report and field are you having trouble reporting with? We can't easily solve the Chart issue, but I would think there is a good chance it could at least work for the Details/Matrix tabs. To resolve the Chart issue, there is a complicated way to do it in most cases, using calculated fields. I did this recently and there is a long thread explaining how to do it at: https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/topic=62&post=4036#p4036 In both cases, Doug Den Hoed (AtAppStore guru) provided the solution but he made me work a little bit to find out how to implement it :) Regards, David.