Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Rebuilding Workfront for IT

Level 8
Hi all! This is a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone out there in the Workfront Community has setup their Workfront instance for IT successfully, and if anyone would be willing to share some of their processes with me? I work on the Marketing Services team and my team and our internal clients have had great success with Workfront and are using almost every feature the system offers, most of which I manage at this point. (request queue, custom forms, routing rules, project templates, reports, dashboards, time sheets - so I know the system functionality well) I've been asked to look at how our IT team is using Workfront and make recommendations for how they could be using it better. I know what we need to do to make it better for them, but I can only relate it back to how Workfront is setup for my team. If anyone is willing to share how their system is setup for IT, I'd really appreciate a little more context! I might be asking a lot, but figured I'd give it a shot! Sydney Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Sydney, We use it in IT for: Projects (standard project plan type stuff) Capacity Planning Agile Most application teams on Scrum Some teams on Kan Ban (works well for service oriented teams like Infrastructure and Network teams) IT Helpdesk We also have several queues and workflows (with the API) for things like Hardware & Software Requests, Change Controls, Server Requests & Decommissions, etc. We even just created an email queue so when one of our monitoring systems (Solarwinds) finds an error it generates an email to the WF queue and creates a WF ticket. What else were looking to find out?

Level 2
Hi Sydney, We use it for the following: 1. New project requests 2. Portfolio management. I have built a lot of reports and dashboards to view the data in different ways such as Backlog, Current, Completion, etc. 3. All projects activities, status updates and so on. 4. QA queues 5. Currently, we are looking into capacity planning and the agile functionality. Let me know if you are looking for more information and I am happy to get on a call. Regards, Isabel Isabel Ribeiro-Atwan

Level 8
@Isabel Ribeiro-Atwan @Vic Alejandro Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it! The biggest thing we need to change to optimize Workfront for IT is the request queue. Currently, we only have one drop down for IT Help Desk and there's no custom form to gather more information, just the generic "description" field.(see attached) I'd love to see some examples of IT specific queue topics and custom forms with logic,from anyone willing to share! (and whose had success with Workfront/IT adoption) Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Sydney, Our Helpdesk form is pretty basic as well. This was intentional so it was easy and straightforward for our users. We found the more questions we asked, the more difficult it was for them, and we'd often get false information. For example, they may say an application is down, when in fact the entire network is down. So we only show them the Primary Contact, Attach Documents, and Description fields. However, we attach a more detailed form to the request (that we don't show them). It's used by the Helpdesk Tech after the ticket is created. The Helpdesk Tech will also fill out this form when they field a phone call. The form has a list of the possible teams. Then based on the selection of Team, we expose the applications supported by that team. Then they select the application impacted. We have a calculated field that puts this value in the field and use that in pie chart report to see which apps are having the most issues. If the Helpdesk can't solve the issue, they assign it to the appropriate IT Team (and we have the API create a comment to the Primary Contact so they know who has the ticket. We also have the Type of Work field (Planned or Break Fix). This is for tracking, but also we use it to trigger the API to convert the Issue to a Task if it's more of a request/planned work than a break/fix. Let me know if you want anymore detail. Thanks.