Expand my Community achievements bar.

Import Data to a Custom Field/Form for an Existing Project Record

Level 10
Hi WF Community, I know you can't import (update) data to existing records in WF using Kickstarts; however, is it possible to import data to a custom form (field) that doesn't currently exist on an existing record in WF? For example: I want to import a bunch of ID's to a new custom field on a project custom form. This project custom form does not exist on any current projects in the system. Not sure if this is possible. Thanks. Nick Nick Valeriote
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Nick, A few thoughts on this one.. Although I appreciate this isn't what you're asking, for those who are looking to update standard Workfront objects (e.g. Companies, Portfolios, Programs, Projects, Tasks, Issues, Expenses, Users and Hours) I invite you to consider our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/excel-updater/" Excel Updater solution, which does support updates (as well as inserts) to existing objects, including custom data . As for your situation, provided (if I'm following) the Parameter to which you'd like to add some new Parameter Options has not been used anywhere yet, since Kickstarts can do inserts of Parameter Options, I'd suggest you simply delete the Parameter (or rename it, if you're nervous), then (re)create it using a Kickstart with the full set of Parameter options. Alternatively (if I'm not following, and the parameter in question is already in use via some other custom form), you could combine the concepts as follows: rename the Existing Parameter to Old Parameter kickstart in the Existing Parameter (with the full set of Parameter Options) add the (new and improved) Existing Parameter beside the Old Parameter on each Custom Form in which the latter appears use our Excel Updater to update the Existing Parameter to match the Old Parameter on all existing data that uses the Custom Form(s) double-check that all is well (by running the Excel Updater a second time, and/or checking manually) drop the Old Parameter Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
Thanks, Doug! Lots of good stuff in your post. I can think of other critical use cases where the Excel Updater will come in handy. Surprised WF doesn't allow you to update data within existing records (only net new records can you import/insert). Anyhow, I think I understood what you were saying about parameters (customer field = Intacct Customer Number), and being able to insert new parameter options (i.e. Intacct Customer Number record # 1 = 0023, Intact Customer Number record #2 = 0024, etc.) . We haven't used this new custom field (Intacct Customer Number) anywhere before. It exists within an existing custom form called Company Details (Companies object). Would I just export the Custom Data Kickstart file and add all my field value data for the Intacct Customer Number field there, and import? Thanks. Nick Nick Valeriote

Level 10
My pleasure Nick, Yes, exactly: kickstart out what you have started with, add to it, then do the OLD trick on the parameter (or delete it) in Workfront, then kickstart in. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
Thanks, Doug. I'll give this a try. Nick Valeriote