Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Re-structure your groups hierarchy by moving existing groups.

Employee

Hi, everyone,

As you may have noticed, we're investing heavily in enhancing the Group Administration aspect of our platform. As a result, we've heard that many of you consider re-structuring your groups to take advantage of new capabilities.

We've also heard that some of you have difficulties figuring out how to move your existing groups and make them subgroups. I'd like to confirm that it can be achieved by following these steps:

1. Edit the destination group under which you want to move the subgroup
  2. Within 'Group Members and Group Administrators' field type and select the group that you want to turn into a subgroup.
  3. Save the destination group.

We agree that this is not an intuitive experience and causes confusion, and we're going to improve this process soon.

Thank you for your patience while we work to introduce more user-friendly controls for re-organizing your groups!

Lilit

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 7

@Lilit Mkrtchyan‚

Another item to consider though is that the license count functionality is only at the parent group level. I actually already have "sub groups", but my licenses are purchased at the Team/SubGroup level. So now I'm torn. Which is more important...using Group Admin & sub groups or having the license tracking at the team level?

Employee

Hi, @Sarah Wilkerson ,

Have you seen the new licenses usage data we've added in Group page in New Workfront Experience? It's currently available in Preview for your review for top level groups as well as subgroups.

0694X00000Bym3GQAR.pngUsed licenses column shows how many licenses of each license type have been assigned within the current group or its subgroups as home group. At this point we don't yet allow setting maximum license count for subgroups, but navigating to the subgroup page you can at least see the current usage. We're considering to support max licenses on subgroups too, but no ETA on that at this point.

Please let me know if this helps.

Lilit

Level 6

Hi,

is there also best practise guide for changing a sub-group into a group?

Employee

Hi, Chris,

I don't have a formal guide for this process, but I can give a few hints and recommendations:

1. Items associated with the group - you don’t need to worry about those, as they’ll remain assigned to the group after moving it. Those items include any portfolios, programs, projects, teams, companies, schedules, milestone paths, layout template and timesheet profiles associated with the moved group.
  2. Group members of the moved group will remain within the group unaffected.
  3. Group Administrators of the moved group will be added as Group Admins on the top level destination group. As a result, they will get access to view any data shared with the destination group and gain lots of admin controls for it. You need to decide whether you want to leave them as Group Admins on the destination group or not.
    1. With 21.1 release we will provide support for assigning Group Administrators on subgroups, and after that the Group Admins will remain on the subgroup itself and won't be transferred to the destination group. You can check this functionality in Preview now.
  4. Statuses - any statuses of the moved group with a status key that don't exist on the destination group will be added to the destination group's statuses list. As a result, they will be available on projects, tasks and issues that belong to the destination group itself or all of its other subgroups. Here you need to review and decide whether you want to keep those statuses or not.
  5. Data sharing and inherited access:
    1. Any objects shared directly with the moved group will not be affected. Group members will have the same sharing rights to those objects as before.
    2. The group members will inherit access to any objects shared with any upper level groups in the new destination org.
    3. If the group was initially a subgroup, moving it will remove the inherited access to all items shared with the initial parent group(s). Please consider sharing any important items with the subgroup directly if you want the subgroup members to keep access to those.
  6. Licenses - any maximum license count defined for the group in Setup > System > Licenses will be dropped after converting it to a subgroup. Defining max license count is not supported on subgroups at the moment, so you might need to update the license numbers for its new top parent group, but please keep in mind that it will apply to all the groups in that business unit too.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Lilit

Level 6

@Lilit Mkrtchyan‚ thanks for that overview and also the great improvements we have seen for groups over the past couple of months! Being able to set group admins for sub groups allivates a lot of our pain in this area and this will also mean that we do not have to move any existing sub groups to groups but we'll just wait for 21.1. to be rolled out :-)

Employee

Hi, @Chris Budgen‚,

I'm very glad to hear that group enhancements have been helpful for you in managing the system! No doubt, our meeting and discussions last year have directly contributed to all the changes you're seeing. Thank you again for being so co-operative and sharing your experience with us.

Have a wonderful day!

Lilit

Level 2

Thank you so much for this! Our department restructured, and we were afraid that we wouldn't be able to shift under a new group without months of work, changing object relationships from a full year of instance development.

This is a HUGE relief. Yes, it would be great if it were a bit more intuitive, but at least it's possible.