Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

"Creating a new version of an existing proof requires Edit access" -??

Level 1
Lately, we've started seeing this error message when trying to add a new file over an existing file -- generally a new version of a PDF file. We seem to get this message randomly -- most of the time, there's no problem adding a revised file. But other times, we get the dreaded "Proof failed to generate" error message, with a banner across the top of the screen that says "Creating a new version of an existing proof requires Edit access." Tried searching for this issue, but nothing came up. Any suggestions? Michael Kaplan
7 Replies

Community Advisor
I haven't seen that particular message. We do sometimes get a message, something about not having the correct proof permissions if the person trying to create the new version did not create the prior version. In each user's profile, in the Access area, we've given all of our designers Administrator access on their "Proof Permission Profile." This allows them to create new or edit proofs as needed if they are covering for someone else.

Level 1
I'm the Project Owner for these projects, so I should have all Admin access. That's why this is so confusing... Michael Kaplan

Community Advisor
But did you upload the original file? Unless your "Proof Permission Profile" is set to Administrator, you may not have access to upload a new version over someone else's file, even if you are the project owner.

Level 6
I have not seen that specific error message (and thus this might not be applicable for your scenario), but I've found that ProofHQ does not sync permission on documents with Workfront. This means that even if you have manage permissions on the project or document in WF, if you didn't create the first version of the proof it won't let you add a new version. The only way I could get this working for my users was to give them supervisor permissions for ProofHQ (found in their WF user settings). This has some implications though, mainly that it gives them access to all proofs in ProofHQ regardless of their WF permissions. Now, if you don't have the checkmark button (beside the search bar) enabled on your instance that takes users over to ProofHQ, it's not a huge deal. Regards, Sean Sanders | London Drugs

Level 3

I just happen to have some documentation ready for this issue, as it has come up for us a few times :) The system has two requirements to allow users to upload new versions over existing documents they did not upload originally:

The first requirement is that the user who is attempting to upload the second version should also have Contribute access to the project. This can be done in the Sharing menu of the project, by clicking on "View" next to the user's name, and changing it to "Contribute" (if they aren't already).

The second requirement is that the user have a proofing license that is higher than "Manager". ProofHQ has 3 main license types by default (Manager, Supervisor and Administrator), but if you don't feel comfortable giving full power to a potentially large portion of your users, you can always create additional license types with tailored permissions. The key permissions to grant are the "Modify all" options under "Data administration" for Proofs and Files (screenshot attached for reference). For our instance, the cause of the issue was more often than not a lack of Contribute access to the project. The way we decided to navigate the solution was to grant users limited Contribute access to any project in which they have been assigned a task (screenshot attached for reference). You can of course also do this via templates or ad hoc as needed, but we found this solution a nice balance to avoid giving out too much power en masse or making things too manually strenuous for the project manager.

Mike Perez0690z000007ZgzcAAC.jpg

Level 7
I'm tagging on to Mike's message here to add some clarification on the license types. As basic as possible, the access goes: Manager

Level 3
Thanks Dustin-- well said! Mike Perez